De La Salle School, St Helens
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2011)|
|Type||Voluntary aided school|
|Headteacher||Mr Will Daunt|
|Local authority||St Helens|
|DfE URN||104834 Tables|
De La Salle School, St Helens is an 11-16 mixed comprehensive Catholic high school which is linked to the world wide La Sallian community. The school in its current form was created in 1987 after the amalgamation of several Catholic high schools in the area (West Park, Notre Dame, St. Edmund Campion and Mount Carmel). Its trustees are the De La Salle Brothers, who have a House nearby.
There are 1200 pupils, and about 140 staff. Seven associated primaries provide the majority of pupils who join, aged 11: Corpus Christi, St. Austin's, St. Bartholomew's, St. John Vianney, St. Julie's, St. Teresa's and St. Thomas of Canterbury.
The school completed a large building programme in June 2013. Nearly half of the building stock was rebuilt, while almost all of the remainder was substantially remodelled. The new buildings capture some simple principles which the school developed with contractors and St. Helens Council:
- each academic area is clearly defined, with its own staff base and bespoke I.C.T. provision;
- while there are some open learning areas, the majority of classrooms are light and airy, as well as being very well sound-proofed;
- there are many double learning spaces, separated by sound-proofed partitions;
- each of the school's four Houses has its own Base, with social seating for the pupils and I.C.T. areas;
- there are six enclosed and secure external areas, including the spacious Founder's Quad, and Our Lady's Quad, in addition to defined learning areas for Art, Performing Arts, science and Enrichment;
- the House Bases and some other areas are decorated with distinctive art work, as well as some large quotations, including two by the Founder, St. John Baptist De la Salle;
- sports facilities now include a M.U.G.A., full size sports hall, activity studio and 'state-of-the-art' fitness suite.
Notable former pupils
- Sean Hughes (history teacher and Knowsley Labour politician)
- Andrew Langtree (actor)
- Steve Prescott, international rugby league player
- Paul Wellens (St Helens RLFC player)
- Jessica-Jay (actress)
- Emma Rigby (actress)
- Stephanie Davis (actress)
- David Tench (musician)
- Andrew gets in shape for Corrie
- Paul Wellens goes back to De La Salle to open new pitch
- From Hollyoaks to Hollywood for St Helens' Emma Rigby?
- De La Salle gang rooting for Over the Rainbow's Stephanie Davis
- Saturday Mornings ~ The Saturday Show ~ Data Sheet