|Municipality of Belgium|
De Panne city view
|• Mayor||Willy Vanheste|
|• Governing party/ies||VEDA|
|• Total||23.90 km2 (9.23 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2013)|
|• Density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
The municipality comprises apart from De Panne the village of Adinkerke.
On 1 January 2006 De Panne had a total population of 10,060 on a total area of 23.90 km², which gives a population density of 421 inhabitants per km².
Famous people who lived or died in De Panne include King Albert I and Queen Elizabeth of Belgium (who lived there during World War I), and John Aidan Liddell, VC, who died in De Panne in August 1915. The Belgian royals lived in De Panne during the First World War because it is located in the tiny fraction of their country that was not conquered by the Germans.
De Panne was also the place where the first land yachts intended for sport were built and used by the Dumont brothers in 1898.
On 17 July 1831, Leopold I, the first Belgian king, sailed to Calais from England, and arrived in Belgium in De Panne. The Leopold I Esplanade, which includes a statue of him, commemorates his arrival.
De Panne Railway Station is located in nearby Adinkerke. There are regular NMBS trains to Brussels. The line across the border to Dunkirk is out of use. Dk' bus run buses from the station forecourt to Gare de Dunkerque. *fr . A cross-border campaign group called Trekhaak-73  is seeking to re-open the railway line.
Belgian Military Cemetery of De Panne
The cemetery is located at Kerkstraat 69 in De Panne, 1 km south of the church. Besides Belgian soldiers who died in WWI there are also British soldiers who died in WWII. 3744 soldiers have been buried here.
- Population per municipality on 1 January 2013 (XLS; 607.5 KB)
- Ryan, Barry (2 April 2014). "Three Days of De Panne fighting for its place in Classics calendar". cyclingnews.com. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- the Belgian military cemetery of De Panne (in Dutch)
- description of the architecture and history of the Belgian military cemetery of De Panne (in Dutch)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to De Panne.|
- Official website - Information available in Dutch and limited information available in French, English and German
- Tourist information + hotel - Information available in Dutch
- Tourist information Apartment Rental - Information available in Dutch and limited information available in English
|This West Flanders location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|