Dead by Sunrise
|Dead by Sunrise|
Dead by Sunrise in 2009
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Years active||2005 – 2011 (on hiatus)|
|Associated acts||Linkin Park, Julien-K, Orgy, Stone Temple Pilots, Street Drum Corps|
|Past members||Elias Andra|
Dead by Sunrise (formerly known as Snow White Tan) is an American rock band. The band features Chester Bennington of Linkin Park, Amir Derakh, Ryan Shuck, Brandon Belsky, Frank Zummo (Street Drum Corps), and Anthony "Fu" Valcic from Julien-K and Orgy. Dead by Sunrise's debut album, Out of Ashes, was released worldwide on October 13, 2009.
Out of Ashes (2005–2009)
Dead by Sunrise started to form in 2005 while Chester Bennington was writing songs for Linkin Park's album Minutes to Midnight. According to Bennington, "I came up with a few songs that felt and sounded really good, but I knew they weren’t right stylistically for Linkin Park. They were darker and moodier than anything I’d come up with for the band. So I decided to work on them on my own rather than turn them over and have them transformed into Linkin Park tracks." However, the foundation for Dead by Sunrise was laid much earlier, when future bandmate Shuck met Bennington during the recording of Linkin Park's first album Hybrid Theory. In an interview, Shuck states that "I always used to go to his house and hear him play acoustic guitar. And I always thought to myself, 'Oh my God, these are such good songs.'"
The band's name, which was previously "Snow White Tan", reflects the time during the album's recording. In an interview, Bennington stated that:
|“||I came up with the band name because in the beginnings of making this album, I was partying ... we'll call it partying. It wasn't much fun, but we partied a lot. And there was a lot of times where I was kind of in a really self-destructive place, and sometimes it felt like you weren't sure if you were going to make it to the next day. The name kind of evolved from that lifestyle, and the title of the record, Out of Ashes, is kind of coming out of that self-destructive path I was on, and rising from the ashes, so to speak.||”|
On May 10, 2008, Dead by Sunrise performed three songs ("Walking in Circles", "Morning After", and "My Suffering") at the 13th anniversary party for Club Tattoo in Tempe, Arizona. The song titled "Morning After" was written by Chester Bennington and originally performed on December 9, 2001 at the Live in Berlin concert. Bennington also performed Morning After with his cover band entitled Bucket Of Weenies in many shows throughout 2005 and 2006. This was the first time that Bennington had "officially" performed the song under a new name—Dead by Sunrise. In addition, this band has recently started touring with Linkin Park in Europe, Japan, and America. In an interview with MTV, Bennington stated that "we're actually going to be jumping in the middle of Linkin Park's set, playing a few songs, then jumping out and letting LP finish out the set." During their debut European tour the band took time out to send a message to the German Armed Forces.
Recording of the band's debut album began in July 2008 after touring for Linkin Park had finished. Working simultaneously on his solo album and Linkin Park's next record, Bennington recorded Out of Ashes with producer Howard Benson (who has also worked with Three Days Grace, My Chemical Romance, Daughtry, and simultaneously Full Circle by Creed) and bandmates from Julien-K. Bennington wrote most of the songs on an acoustic guitar before working with his band to reshape the track into hard rock, a ballad, or even removing all rock influence and creating a synth-driven track. Linkin Park bandmate Mike Shinoda confirmed that Out of Ashes is "much more of a rock album [than Linkin Park's albums]." Also of note, Bennington participated in all aspects of creating the record, including programming and production.
Videos have been filmed for "Crawl Back In" (September 8, 2009) and "Let Down" with the songs serving as the album's first two singles. "Crawl Back In" has reached the 11th spot on the Mainstream Rock chart.
Possible second album (2010–2011)
In a 2009 interview with Billboard, Bennington said that "This isn't a one-time thing for us. Every five years or so I could imagine there'd be a Dead By Sunrise record." Despite this, in 2010, he has stated there was a small chance a new album may be created. The frontman also noted that because of Linkin Park's new direction "it becomes very difficult to choose where the songs that he writes will go."
On November 4, 2011, Bennington's wife, Talinda, revealed that Dead by Sunrise will perform at the 2011 Stars of the Season Gala event, which will focus on raising donations for pediatric rehabilitation.
Hiatus, departure of Elias Andra (2011–2012)
On the 20th of April 2012, during a Love and Death concert played at an event by The Whosoevers, Elias Andra announced in December 2011 that he had left his band. In 2012, Andra was replaced with Frank Zummo from Street Drum Corps.
- Chester Bennington – lead vocals (2005–present)
- Amir Derakh – lead guitar (2005–present)
- Ryan Shuck – rhythm guitar, backing vocals (2005–present)
- Brandon Belsky – bass (2005–present)
- Anthony "Fu" Valcic – keyboards, synthesizers (2005–present)
- Frank Zummo – drums, percussion (2012–present)
- Former members
- Elias Andra – drums, percussion (2005–2012)
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Out of Ashes||29||9||5||11||109||5||16||82||18||74|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Crawl Back In"||2009||—||23||11||22||66||—||Out of Ashes|
|"Inside of Me"||2010||—||—||40||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|"Let Down" (live)||2009||Non-album single|
|"Crawl Back In"||2009||P. R. Brown|
|"Let Down" (live)||N/A|
|"Let Down"||P. R. Brown|
- "Bennington unveils 'dark' side project". 21 July 2009. Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Linkin Park's Bennington Readies Side Project Dead By Sunrise Rolling Stone. July 9, 2009.
- Linkin Park's Chester Bennington Gets 'Dark' With New Band, Dead By Sunrise MTV News. July 16, 2009.
- "Linkin Park : Live in Berlin 12.09.01 : The Morning After.". YouTube. 2007-12-15. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- Dead by Sunrise - Hallo Bundeswehr! InsideTheTourBus.com. August 27, 2009.
- Linkin Park still mixing it up Army Times. July 2008. "We’re done touring after the summer, we’re going back to China for a week and a half. Then we’ll go back in the studio to work on the next Linkin Park record and I’m going to finish my solo project, called “Dead By Sunrise.” Hopefully, those will both be out next year."
- New Linkin Park Album Due in 2010 Alternative Addiction. May 22, 2009.
- Chester Bennington's Dead by Sunrise to Release 'Out of Ashes' This Fall. Bennington has also recently stated that he plans (or would like to,) release more albums with Dead By Sunrise in the future.[dead link] Icon vs. Icon. July 9, 2009.
- CRAWL BACK IN DEBUTS ON MYSPACEDead By Sunrise Myspace. September 8, 2009
- CHESTER BENNINGTON's DEAD BY SUNRISE Films Two New Videos Blabbermouth. July 20, 2009.
- Graff, Gary (18 September 2009). "Linkin Park's Bennington Talks New Band, Debut". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- l Chester Bennington of Linkin Park Talks Artist Direct. October 5, 2010.
- Bennington, Talinda (4 November 2011). "November 4 Tweet 1". Twitlonger. Twitter. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Bennington, Talinda (4 November 2011). "November 4 Tweet 2". Twitlonger. Twitter. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- "Whosoever Conference Session Day 1". The Whosoevers. Retrieved 2012-04-20 (at 218:49).
- "Dead by Sunrise – Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Dead by Sunrise – Chart History: Alternative Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Dead by Sunrise – Chart History: Rock Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Discographie Dead By Sunrise". austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Discographie Dead By Sunrise". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Chartverfolgung / Dead By Sunrise / Longplay". musicline.de (in German). PhonoNet. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "デッド・バイ・サンライズ". Oricon (in Japanese). Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Discografie Dead By Sunrise". dutchcharts.nl. Hung Medien. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Discography Dead By Sunrise". swisscharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Dead By Sunrise – Official Charts Company" (select "Albums" tab). Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Dead by Sunrise – Chart History: Adult Pop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Dead by Sunrise – Chart History: Alternative Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Dead by Sunrise – Chart History: Mainstream Rock Tracks". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Dead by Sunrise – Chart History: Rock Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Chartverfolgung / Dead By Sunrise / Single". musicline.de (in German). PhonoNet. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Dead by Sunrise – Chart History: Japan Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Modern Rock – Available for Airplay Archive". FMQB. Mediaspan Online Services. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Fire – Single by Dead By Sunrise". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Let Down (Live) – Single by Dead By Sunrise". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Let Down (Live) | Dead By Sunrise | Music Video". MTV Music. Viacom Media Networks. October 26, 2009. Retrieved March 23, 2013.