July 13, 1958 |
|Institution||Center for Economic and Policy Research
|Field||Economics, Macroeconomics, Urban & Real Estate Economics|
|Alma mater||Swarthmore College (B.A., 1981)
University of Denver (M.A., 1983)
University of Michigan (Ph.D.)
As a graduate student at the University of Michigan, Baker was twice arrested for protesting congressional funding of the Nicaraguan Contras; in a 1986 Congressional campaign that opposed funding of the Contras, Baker won the Democratic Party primary but lost the general election.
As a grad student at the University of Michigan, Baker participated in, and was arrested at, two sit-ins protesting Rep. Carl Pursell's votes for military aid to the Contras. In 1986, Baker defeated Donald Grimes in the Democratic primary and ran unsuccessfully against Pursell to represent Michigan's second Congressional district; his candidacy opposed aid to the Contras.
After graduate school, Baker was a senior economist at the Economic Policy Institute and an assistant professor of economics at Bucknell University. He and Weisbrot founded the Center for Economic and Policy Research in 1999, He has consulted with officials from the World Bank; he has provided testimony to the Joint Economic Committee of the U.S. Congress and to the OECD's Trade Union Advisory Council.
- Baker, Dean; Mark Weisbrot (1999). Social Security: The Phony Crisis. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 978-0-226-03546-8. An excerpt from the book.
- Bernstein, Jared; Dean Baker (2003). The Benefits of Full Employment : When Markets Work for People. Economic Policy Institute. ISBN 978-1-932-06604-3.
- Baker, Dean (2006). The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer. Lulu.com. ISBN 978-1-411-69395-1.
- Baker, Dean (2007). The United States Since 1980. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-67755-4.
- Baker, Dean (2009). Plunder and Blunder: The Rise and Fall of the Bubble Economy. PoliPoint Press. ISBN 978-0-981-57699-2.
- Baker, Dean (2010). False Profits: Recovering from the Bubble Economy. PoliPoint Press. ISBN 978-0-982-41712-6.
- Baker, Dean (2010). Taking Economics Seriously. MIT Press. ISBN 978-0-262-01418-2.
- Baker, Dean (2011). The End of Loser Liberalism: Making Markets Progressive. Center for Economic and Policy Research. ISBN 978-0-615-53363-6.
- Dean Baker at IDEAS
- Dean Baker at Economic Policy Institute
- Alexander Cockburn, "Dean Baker for Congress," The Nation, Oct 25 1986
- Jonathan Scott, "Dean Baker's war of position," Race & Class, July 2009
- The logic of neo-classical consumption theory, 1988.
- Baker, Dean; Weisbrot, Mark (1994). "The logic of contested exchange". Journal of Economic Issues (Association for Evolutionary Economics) 28 (4): 1091–1114. JSTOR 4226888.
- CEPR, Dean Baker