||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
Dean Hawkes is a British architect and award-winning academic. Born in 1938 he studied at Manchester School of Architecture and Clare College, University of Cambridge. His career combined practice, teaching and research:
From 1965 – 1995 he taught and researched at the Department of Architecture at Cambridge University, where he was a founder member and, later, Director of the Martin Centre for Architectural and Urban Studies. He held the Chair of Architectural Design at the Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University from 1995 – 2002. He currently holds visiting professorships at the Mackintosh School of Architecture, Glasgow School of Art and the Department of Architecture, Huddersfield University. He is emeritus fellow of Darwin College, University of Cambridge.
Dean Hawkes was in practice with Stephen Greenberg as Greenberg and Hawkes. Projects were widely published and won a number of RIBA Architecture Awards. They were exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts, London and at the Venice Biennale.
He has published numerous books and essays on architecture and contributed to the Architects' Journal and the Architectural Review.
In 2010 Dean Hawkes was awarded the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Annie Spink Award for architectural education. The honour is awarded by the RIBA biannually to those who have made a significant contribution to architectural education. He was described by the chair of the judging panel as "one of the most pre-eminent thinkers in architectural education" who had "an exceptional commitment to the environmental agenda from a time when this was not fashionable or mainstream thinking".
- D. Hawkes, J. Owers  The Architecture of Energy, Longman, London.
- Dean Hawkes  The Environmental Tradition, Spon Press, London.
- Dean Hawkes, Jane McDonald, and Koen Steemers,  The Selective Environment: An Approach to Environmentally Responsive Architecture, Taylor & Francis, London.
- D. Hawkes, Arup Partnership, W. Forster  Energy Efficient Buildings: Architecture, Engineering, and Environment, W. W. Norton & Company, London.
- Dean Hawkes  The Environmental Imagination, Spon Press, London.
- Doughty Mews, Bloomsbury, London.
- House, Cambridge.
- House, Dorset.
- Library, Maldon, Essex.
- Building magazine website Dean Hawkes wins RIBA Annie Spink Award 2010 28 October 2010 (viewed 2011-10-09)
- R.I.B.A. website Professor Dean Hawkes named winner of the RIBA Annie Spink Award 2010 25 October 2010 (viewed 2011-10-09)
- Goodreads.com http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/195259.Dean_Hawkes. Retrieved 2011-10-19.