Dean Rader is an American writer, blogger, poet, and professor who teaches at the University of San Francisco, in the Department of English, where he has also served as Dean of Humanities. Rader has a M.A. & Ph.D. in Comparative Literature from the State University of New York at Binghamton. He is primarily known for his scholarly work on Native American poetry.
In addition to his teaching, Rader is also a published poet. His poem "Hesiod in Oklahoma, 1934" won the Sow's Ear Review poetry prize in 2009, judged by Kelly Cherry. Rader's debut poetry collection, Works and Days, won the 2010 Truman State University T. S. Eliot Poetry Prize, judged by Claudia Keelan. Works & Days was also named a finalist for the Bob Bush Memorial First Book Award, and it won the Writer's League of Texas Book Award for Poetry.
That same year, Rader began a blog called 99 Poems for the 99 Percent which posted 99 poems over 99 days. The blog featured poems by well-known writers like LeAnne Howe, Matthew Zapruder, Robert Pinsky, Martha Collins, Heid Erdrich, Edward Hirsch, Timothy Donnelly, Maxine Chernoff, Camille T. Dungy, and Bob Hicok as well as beginning and non-professional poets.
Other awards and fellowships
- Fellowships at Harvard University and Princeton University 
- Poetry prizes from Crab Orchard Review and Common Ground Review, 2007 
- National Endowment for the Humanities Chair at the University of San Francisco, 2009–2010.
- Editor, Studies in American Indian Literature
- Rader, Dean, editor; Gould, Janice (2003). Speak to me words: essays on contemporary American Indian poetry. Tucson: University of Arizona Press. ISBN 0816523487.
- Silverman, Jonathan; Rader, Dean (2008). The world is a text: writing, reading and thinking about visual and popular culture (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall. ISBN 9780136033455.
- Rader, Dean (2010). Works & days. New odyssey series. Kirksville, MO: Truman State University Press. ISBN 9781935503088.
- Rader, Dean (2011). Engaged resistance: American Indian art, literature, and film from Alcatraz to the NMAI. The William and Bettye Nowlin series in art, history, and culture of the Western Hemisphere (1st ed.). Austin: University of Texas Press. ISBN 9780292723993.
- The Weekly Rader, blog
- 99 Poems for the 99 Percent, blog
- "Self Portrait as Wikipedia Entry". ZYZZYVA. 2012-02-06.
- "While working on a translation of "Walking around", I Imagine Neruda Trapped in the Snowstorm Outside My Window". Poetry Magazines - FIRE (No. 26). 2005.
- Rader, Dean (2007-05-21). "Core value". SFGate.
- University of San Francisco Page
- "Self Portrait as Wikipedia Entry". ZYZZYVA. 2012-02-06. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Sow's Ear Poetry Award Announcement
- "Fresh Ink". SFGate. 2010-02-21. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "Works and Days". Truman State University Press. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Award Finalists Announced
- "The Top 10 Poets: Who are the Greatest? – City Brights: Dean Rader – an SFGate.com blog". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Harris, Rachael Lee (2011-03-06). "The 10 Best Poets". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- 99 Poems for the 99 Percent
- "Dean Rader". Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Crab Creek News: Crab Pot Poetry Contest Results and Our First Fiction Contest To Begin Soon
- Dean Rader's website
- Dean Rader, University of San Francisco page
- Matthew Zapruder and Rader in conversation, Huffington Post
- Review of Works & Days in Poetry Flash
- Stuff White People Like: A Blog Review