John D. Dingell Transit Center
|This article is outdated. (December 2014)|
|John D. Dingell Transit Center
Amtrak inter-city rail station
|Address||21201 Michigan Avenue
|Connections||Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Opened||December 9, 2014|
|Owned by||City of Dearborn|
|Passengers (2013)||81,878 0.6%|
The John D. Dingell Transit Center is a train station in Dearborn, Michigan, United States that is served daily by Amtrak's Wolverine, which runs three times daily between Chicago, Illinois and Pontiac, Michigan, via Detroit, Michigan.
The station is located at 21201 Michigan Avenue (US Highway 12) behind the Dearborn Police Station. The red brick and glass-faced structure includes a two-story waiting hall, which includes an elevated glass-enclosed pedestrian bridge which allows access to the south platform. There is also a small retail space within the station.
The station building opened on October 1, 1979, replacing a temporary structure which opened on July 30, 1978. The station was built on property deeded to the city by the Ford Motor Company. The station cost $348,000, which was split between Amtrak and the state of Michigan.
On 19 August 2011, it was announced that the Federal Railroad Administration had released $28.2 million in funds from the ARRA ecnomic stimulus package for the construction of a new intermodal station to replace the current building; the new facility would serve both intercity and commuter rail and include a connection to the Henry Ford Museum.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, State of Michigan" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Frezell, Michael. "John D. Dingell Transit Center grand opening ceremony in Dearborn". mi.gov/mdot. Michigan Department of Transportation. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "New Dearborn Station Opens, Serves Detroit's Growing Suburbs". Amtrak NEWS 6 (12): 4. Nov 1979.
- "FRA obligates $28.2 million for new Dearborn train station". Progressive Railroading. 22 Aug 2011. Archived from the original on 23 Aug 2011. Retrieved 24 Aug 2011.
- Lawrence, Eric (10 December 2014). "First train pulls out of new Dearborn Amtrak station". The Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
Media related to John D. Dingell Transit Center at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak – Stations – Dearborn, MI
- Dearborn Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- Dearborn, MI (DER) (Amtrak's Great American Stations)
|This Michigan train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|