Death Comes to Pemberley (TV series)
|Death Comes to Pemberley|
First episode titles
|Based on||Death Comes to Pemberley novel by P. D. James|
|Written by||Juliette Towhidi|
|Directed by||Daniel Percival|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||3|
|Running time||60 minutes (each episode)|
|Production company(s)||Origin Pictures, Masterpiece co-production|
|Original channel||BBC One|
|Original run||26 December 2013– 28 December 2013|
|BBC site Death Comes to Pemberley|
Death Comes to Pemberley is a three-part British television drama based on the best-selling P.D. James novel of the same name, a murder mystery continuation of the events of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice incorporating the same characters.
It is October, 1803, six years after the events in Pride and Prejudice which resulted in the marriage of Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy and Miss Elizabeth Bennet. One evening, on their way to Pemberley for a ball, an argument breaks out between George Wickham and Captain Denny in the carriage, with Wickham's wife (and Elizabeth's sister), Lydia, also present. The two leave the carriage in anger and disappear into the woodland, where two gunshots are heard. Upon hearing the news, Darcy sends out a search party and Wickham is found distraught and hysterical holding Denny's body, blaming himself for his murder.
- Matthew Rhys as Fitzwilliam Darcy
- Anna Maxwell Martin as Elizabeth Darcy
- Jenna Coleman as Lydia Wickham
- Matthew Goode as George Wickham
- Trevor Eve as Sir Selwyn Hardcastle
- Alexandra Moen as Jane Bingley
- Rebecca Front as Mrs Bennet
- James Fleet as Mr Bennet
- Penelope Keith as Lady Catherine de Bourgh
- Joanna Scanlan as Mrs Reynolds
- Tom Ward as Colonel Fitzwilliam
- Eleanor Tomlinson as Georgiana Darcy
- James Norton as Mr Henry Alveston
- Nichola Burley as Louisa Bidwell
- Philip Martin Brown as Mr Bidwell
- Kevin Eldon as Dr Belcher
- Jennifer Hennessy as Mrs Bidwell
- Lewis Rainer as Will Bidwell
- Mariah Gale as Mrs Younge
- Tom Canton as Captain Martin Denny
- Oliver Maltman as George Pratt
- David Blockley as Footman
The cast was announced on 18 June 2013. The series was cast by Gary Davy. Actor Tom Ward, who plays Colonel Fitzwilliam, is the only cast member to have previously played a role in an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. He played Lt Chamberlayne in the 1995 BBC adaptation.
Filming began in June 2013 on location in Yorkshire and Derbyshire and has been supported with investment from Screen Yorkshire. Chatsworth House in Derbyshire was used as the exterior of Pemberley, and rooms at Chatsworth and at Castle Howard and Harewood House, both in Yorkshire, were used for indoor scenes. Areas of National Trust land including Hardcastle Crags, Fountains Abbey and the Studley Royal estate and Treasurer's House were also used in filming. Beverley's Guildhall provided the location for a courtroom. The gallows scenes were filmed on a purpose-built scaffold outside York Crown Court, with Wickham emerging from the gate to the old debtors's prison in the York Museum.
- BBC media centre. Retrieved 26 December 2013
- Susanna Lazarus. Death Comes to Pemberley's Matthew Rhys: "The best thing about playing Mr Darcy is that shirt" RadioTimes. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "Jenna Coleman to Star in Death Comes To Pemberley". Doctor Who. BBC. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Death comes to Pemberley; behind the scenes". The Telegraph. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Death comes to Pemberley on BBC1". Hull Daily Mail. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- Cano-López, Marina. Review Death Comes to Pemberley (TV series). CRTICKS: The British Society for Eighteenth Century Studies. 14 Feb 2014.http://www.bsecs.org.uk/criticks/ReviewDetails.aspx?id=181&type=4
- Death Comes to Pemberley at BBC Programmes
- Death Comes to Pemberley at the Internet Movie Database