Deathlike Silence Productions
|Deathlike Silence Productions|
|Distributor(s)||Voices Of Wonder|
|Genre||Black metal, death metal|
|Country of origin||Norway|
Deathlike Silence Productions was an Oslo, Norway based independent record label founded in the late 1980s that focused primarily on black metal. It was the first independent label to do so. The label was founded by Øystein Aarseth, also known as Euronymous, who operated the label until his murder in 1993. The name was derived from the Sodom song "Deathlike Silence" (from their 1986 release Obsessed by Cruelty). At first, the label mainly signed Norwegian acts, but as early as 1990 Aarseth had desired to establish a Swedish branch with Morgan Håkansson of Marduk, and towards its final years its scope was also broadened to other countries such as Japan. Aarseth was considering signing Rotting Christ, Masacre (Colombia) and Hadez (Peru) before his death. Before the label's demise it was planned to release Monumentum's debut album In Absentia Christi. Darkthrone had threatened to release their second album A Blaze in the Northern Sky through Deathlike Silence when Peaceville Records would not due to their sudden change in genre. Voices of Wonder "took over Deathlike Silence Productions after the death of Euronymous."
Releases on DSP
- Anti-Mosh 001: Merciless – The Awakening (1990)
- Anti-Mosh 002: Burzum – Burzum (1992)
- Anti-Mosh 003: Mayhem – Deathcrush (1993)[nb 1]
- Anti-Mosh 004: Abruptum – Obscuritatem Advoco Amplectére Me (1993)[nb 2]
- Anti-Mosh 005: Burzum – Aske (1993)
- Anti-Mosh 006: Mayhem – De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (1994)
- Anti-Mosh 007: Sigh – Scorn Defeat (1993)
- Anti-Mosh 008: Enslaved – Vikingligr Veldi (1994)
- Anti-Mosh 009: Abruptum – In Umbra Malitiae Ambulabo, in Aeternum in Triumpho Tenebraum (1994)[nb 3]
- Re-release of the original Deathcrush EP from 1987.
- Latin for The Call of Darkness Embraces Me.
- Latin for In the Shadow of Evil I Will Walk, Forever in Dark Triumph.
- Chris Campion (20 February 2005): In the Face of Death, guardian.co.uk, accessed on 21 April 2013.
- Jon "Metalion" Kristiansen: The Saga of True Norwegian Black Metal, vice.com, accessed on 21 April 2013.
- Bård "Faust" Eithun: Interview with Euronymous, thetruemayhem.com, accessed on 21 April 2013.
- Hadez: "...From the Graves", blackmetal.com, accessed on 21 April 2013.
- Garry Sharpe-Young: Monumentum, musicmight.com, accessed on 21 April 2013.
- A Blaze in the Northern Sky (video interview), 2003.
- Biography, sighjapan.com, accessed on 10 June 2013.