The original Puffin Books cover.
The Wizard cover version.
Location: Allansia, Titan
Deathtrap Dungeon is a single-player adventure gamebook written by Ian Livingstone, and illustrated by Iain McCaig. Originally published by Puffin Books in 1984, the title is the sixth gamebook in the Fighting Fantasy series. It was later republished by Wizard Books in 2002.
Deathtrap Dungeon is a fantasy scenario set in the trap-filled and monster-infested labyrinth of Fang.
Down in the dark twisting labyrinth of Fang, unknown horrors await you. Devised by the devilish mind of Baron Sukumvit, the labyrinth is riddled with fiendish traps and bloodthirsty monsters, which will test your skills almost beyond the limit of endurance.
Countless adventurers before you have taken up the challenge of the Trial of Champions and walked through the carved mouth of the labyrinth, never to be seen again. Should you come out of the labyrinth alive, you will be wealthy beyond your dreams. Do YOU dare enter?
Set in the town of Fang on the continent of Allansia, the player takes the role of an adventurer who decides to enter Baron Sukumvit's "Trial of Champions" and brave "Deathtrap Dungeon". Competing against five other adventurers, the player must defeat monsters, navigate the maze of dungeons and collect certain gems, which are the key to escaping and winning the Trial.
Marcus L. Rowland reviewed Deathtrap Dungeon for the May 1984 issue of White Dwarf, rating the title 8 out of a possible 10. Rowland stated that the format of Deathtrap Dungeon was "extremely simple, and resembles the plot of many early D&D scenarios".
The gamebook was also converted into a 40-page d20 System role-playing adventure by Jamie Wallis. It was published by Myriador in 2003 and reissued in pdf format by Greywood Publishing in 2008.
- Schick, Lawrence (1991). Heroic Worlds: A History and Guide to Role-Playing Games. Prometheus Books. p. 366. ISBN 0-87975-653-5.
- Rowland, Marcus (May 1984). "Open Box". White Dwarf (Games Workshop) (53): 16–17.
- "Review of Deathtrap Dungeon - RPGnet". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "SFandFantasy.co.uk - Deathtrap Dungeon. 2003". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Reviews - Deathtrap Dungeon - OgreCave.com". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Deathtrap Dungeon - RPG Geek". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- Holdom lines up Marcel, Deathtrap Dungeon, ScrrenDaily, 26 May 2011
- Can You Survive the Deathtrap Dungeon ? , IMDb, 26 May 2011