|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 94th district
January 5, 2009
|Preceded by||Jimmy Stewart|
October 12, 1969 |
|Alma mater||Ohio University|
Debbie Phillips is a Democratic member of the Ohio House of Representatives, representing the 92nd District since 2009. She serves as assistant minority whip.
Ohio House of Representatives
Phillips initially ran for the Ohio House in 2006, when incumbent Jimmy Stewart was vying for a third term. In a contested race which proved to be undecided on election night, Stewart narrowly defeated Phillips with 51.08% of the vote.
In 2008, Phillips opted to run again. However, with Stewart now running for the Ohio Senate, Phillips quickly became the favorite to win the seat. Instead, she faced Athens County Auditor Jill Thompson in the general election, who proved to be a viable candidate. In the end, Phillips won with her second try, securing 50.47% of the vote.
In 2010, Phillips was a top target for House Republicans, who saw her as vulnerable in the Republican leaning district. Fielded was Mike Hunter, a retired lieutenant colonel with the State Highway Patrol. However, she won reelection with 52.59% of the vote. After the election and with Democrats now in the minority, House colleagues chose Phillips to serve as assistant minority whip. She also is serving on the committees of Rules and Reference, Finance and Appropriations and its Primary and Secondary Education Subcommittee, Education, and Agriculture and Natural Resources.
Policies, positions and initiatives
With Republicans gaining the House majority in 2011, Phillips had remained critical on the majority's plan to eliminate former Governor Ted Strickland's model for school funding, stating, "If we back away from our responsibility, it's going to be local taxpayers or the mom who now has to pay tuition for her child to attend kindergarten." She also has brought forth concerns that changes to the all-day kindergarten provision would conflict with the state's Race to the Top plan, which has garnered $400 million in federal funding for Ohio schools.
Phillips has been critical of state schools Superintendent Stan Heffner, stating that he influenced state contract awards to benefit a business that later offered him employment.
- Collective bargaining
- "Candidate Forum: Ohio House Representative: 92nd District– General Election". Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- Blackwell, Kenneth 2006 general election results (2006-11-07)
- ODB Line: Ten Most Likely Ohio House Pickups
- Brunner, Jennifer 2008 general election results (2008-11-04)
- Ohio House candidates voice platforms at forum
- Brunner, Jennifer 2010 general election results (2010-11-02)
- Area state-level legislators take on leadership positions in next session
- Candinsky, Catherine (2011-07-19). "Ethics accusation fired at new state schools chief". Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Vardon, Joe (2011-04-21). "Democrats' request for school data is rejected". Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- Hill, Ashley (2011-01-16). "No on S.B. 5 group gets OK". Marietta Times. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- The Ohio House of Representatives: Rep. Debbie Phillips (D-Athens) official site
- The Ohio Ladies' Gallery: Rep. Debbie Phillips (D-Athens)