|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
The Debian Med project is a Debian Pure Blend created to provide a co-ordinated operating system and collection of available free software packages that are well-suited for the requirements for medical practices and medical research. Debian Med does not create or programm software, but integrates software available under a license conforming to the DFSG into Debian and also extends Debian to be a better plattform for this field of interest. The Debian Software Repositories contain 36500 packages. Debian Med serves as a magnifying lens to categorize all those packages, that as suited for the field of medicine.
Debian includes 36500 packages. Many of those being focus of Debian Med. These are being summarized into categories called tasks, e.g.:
- Medical practice and Patient management
- Molecular Biology and Medical Genetics
- Medical imaging
- Drug databases
- and several others
For a complete overview, see 
- Debian Med – Homepage of the Project
- Debian Med talks
- Wiki page with further information for users and developers.
- Ubuntu-Med—a Kubuntu operating system customization with an EHR and additional software packages incorporated into it