The Debit MasterCard is a debit card. It uses the same systems as the standard MasterCard credit card and does not use a line of credit to the customer, instead relying on funds that the customer has in their bank account.
In the United Kingdom, the Debit MasterCard operates alongside MasterCard's established Maestro debit card scheme, which previously were the only debit cards provided by MasterCard. However, more providers are switching to using Debit MasterCard instead, as the previous Maestro debit cards are not accepted as widely worldwide, unlike the Debit MasterCard which is accepted worldwide wherever MasterCard is accepted. Although, currently, the Maestro scheme still remains in place.
The Commonwealth Bank, ME Bank and Westpac are notable for being the only banks in Australia to issue a Debit MasterCard to any account holder age 16 and older, whereas other institutions require cardholders to be age 18 or older.
As of 2014 three out of the four remaining major Greek banks offer a Debit MasterCard to their clients.
Piraeus Bank has added the option for a Mastercard Debit card alongside the Visa Debit (formerly Visa Electron) card that it had been offering in the past as the exclusive option. Also Alpha Bank offers Debit MasterCard as one of three options for a debit card. It is not clear which option these two banks promote the most to customers that do not have a specific preference.
Swedbank has offered Debit MasterCard in Estonia since 2011, Latvia and Lithuania since 2012. SEB has offered Debit MasterCard and Visa Debit for years equally in the Baltic states, but since March/April 2014 SEB decided to prefer Debit MasterCard as their main debit card, still somewhat offering also Visa Debit
In the United States, unlike Australia and the United Kingdom, four levels of Debit MasterCard are available: Standard, Gold, Platinum and World.
Several banks offer Credit and Debit MasterCard in Algeria (Algeria Gulf Bank, Banque de Développement Local, Crédit Populaire Agricole).
- "Credit Card | Debit | Products | MasterCard®". Mastercard.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Press Office | About Us | MasterCard® Australia". Mastercard.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Commonwealth Bank unveils youth Debit MasterCard - International Business Times". Au.ibtimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- http://www.westpac.com.au/personal-banking/bank-accounts/debit-cards/debit-mastercard/ westpac.com.au Retrieved 2012-09-12
- "Eurobank Ergasias - Debit Mastercard". Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Mastercard Debit". Piraeusbank.gr. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- . alphabank.gr http://www.alpha.gr/page/default.asp?la=1&id=340. Retrieved 2014-07-14. Missing or empty
- "SEB offers customers novel MasterCard debit card". SEB. 10 March 2014. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Lakson, Piret (10 March 2014). "SEB eelistab Visa asemel Mastercardi" (in Estonian). Tarbija24 (Postimees). Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "MasterCard Debit Cards | MasterCard®". Mastercard.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.