Deborah Anne Freund is the president of Claremont Graduate University in Claremont, California. She is an American academic, former Distinguished Professor of Public Administration, and former Vice-Chancellor and Provost for Academic Affairs at Syracuse University.
Prior to taking the post at Claremont, she was considered for Chancellor of UCLA.
Education and academic career
Freund received a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Classics from Washington University in St. Louis in 1973, an Master of Public Health (MPH) in medical care administration in 1975, a Master of Arts (MA) in Applied Economics in 1975, and a PhD in Economics in 1980, the latter three degrees all from the University of Michigan.
Before receiving her appointments as Vice-Chancellor and Provost for Academic Affairs and Professor of Public Administration at Syracuse University, she was Vice-Chancellor for academic affairs and dean of the faculties from 1994–1999 and Professor of Public Affairs among other professorial appointments at Indiana University Bloomington. She has held visiting professorships at Harvard University, Stanford University, the University of London, the Australian National University, and Keio University. She has published over 120 journal articles and chapters, two books, and has been principal investigator for over $30 million in grants and contracts. Her research interests are health economics, Medicaid, and pharmacoeconomics, the field concerning the cost and implications of pharmaceutical products and services on people and the healthcare industry, an intersection which she is credited as founding.
- Syracuse economist tapped to head Claremont Graduate University, Los Angeles Times (July 14, 2010)
- Los Angeles Times: Syracuse economist tapped to head Claremont Graduate University
- The Daily Orange: Head of SU health care research leaves to be president at Claremont Graduate University
- Inland Valley Daily Bulletin: Claremont Graduate University announces new president
- Claremont Graduate University Appoints Deborah A. Freund as President (Claremont Graduate University website)
- Los Angeles Times: Field for UCLA Chief Is Down to One
- Daily Bruin Online Exclusive: Syracuse provost may be the next UCLA chancellor (April 28, 2006)
- Daily Bruin: Syracuse provost reportedly top pick (May 1, 2006)
- Los Angeles Times: Leading Candidate Bows Out in Hunt for UCLA Chancellor
- Deborah A. Freund (Syracuse website)