||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
Deborah Levy was born 1959 in South Africa. She is a British playwright, novelist, and poet. Her work has been staged by the Royal Shakespeare Company and she is the author of highly praised novels including Beautiful Mutants, Swallowing Geography, and Billy and Girl. Her most recent novel, Swimming Home (And Other Stories, 2011) was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2012.
Levy trained at Dartington College of Arts, leaving in 1981 to write a number of plays, including Pax, Heresies for the Royal Shakespeare Company, and others which are published in Levy: Plays 1 (Methuen)
Deborah wrote and published her first novel Beautiful Mutants, in 1986. Her second novel, Swallowing Geography, was published in 1993 by Jonathan Cape, while her third one, Billy and Girl, was published in 1996 by Bloomsbury.
Swimming Home, her latest novel, was published in 2011 by the London publishing house And Other Stories and has been shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2012. Swimming Home was also shortlisted for the UK Author of the Year prize at the Specsavers National Book Awards 2012 and the Jewish Quarterly Wingate Prize 2013.
Following her Booker Prize shortlisting, Levy published her short story collection, Black Vodka with And Other Stories in 2013. The title story was shortlisted for the BBC International Short Story Award 2012.
She has always written across a number of art forms (see Bookworks and Collaborations with visual artists) and was Fellow Commoner in Creative Arts at Trinity College, Cambridge from 1989 to 1991.
- "Star Dust Nation,". Eclectic England (8). Mad Hatter Review.
- Ophelia and The Great Idea. Jonathan Cape. (1989). ISBN 978-0-224-02596-6.
- Beautiful Mutants. Viking. (1989). ISBN 978-0-670-82892-0.
- Deborah Levy, Andrzej Borkowski (1990). An Amorous Discourse in the Suburbs of Hell. Cape. ISBN 978-0-224-02653-6.
- Swallowing Geography. Jonathan Cape. (1993). ISBN 978-0-224-02729-8.
- The Unloved. Jonathan Cape. (1994). ISBN 978-0-224-03038-0.
- Diary of a Steak. Book Works. (1997). ISBN 978-1-870699-29-7.
- Billy & Girl. Dalkey Archive Press. (1999). ISBN 978-1-56478-202-1.
- Pillow Talk In Europe And Other Places. Dalkey Archive Press. (2004). ISBN 978-1-56478-333-2.
- Swimming Home and Other Stories (2011) ISBN 978-1-908276-02-5
- Pax, 1984
- Clam, 1985
- Heresies, 1986
- Our Lady, 1986
- Eva And Moses, 1987
- Heresies & Eva and Moses: two plays. Methuen. 1987. ISBN 978-0-413-17170-2.
- Amorous Discourse in the Suburbs Of Hell, 1991
- The B File, 1992
- Blood Wedding, 1992
- Call Blue Jane, 1992
- Walks On Water, 1992
- Shiny Nylon, 1994
- Macbeth – False Memory, 2000
- Plays 1. Methuen. 2000. ISBN 978-0-413-75490-5.
- Dream Mamma
- Honey Baby
- Ophelia And The Great Idea
- Pushing The Prince Into Denmark
Short story collections
- Unless, Carol Shields, BBC Radio 4
- Chance Acquaintances, Colette, BBC Radio 4
- Freud: The Case Histories, BBC Radio 4
- DANNY DANZIGER (3 October 1994). "The worst of times: Life after apartheid: snot and tears: Deborah Levy talks to Danny Danziger". The Independent.
- Elaine Aston, Janelle G. Reinelt (2000). The Cambridge companion to modern British women playwrights. Cambridge University Press. p. 240. ISBN 978-0-521-59533-9.
- Deborah Levy. Contemporarywriters.com (20 February 2007). Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "Man Booker Nominees (shortlist) 2012". Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- BBC International Short Story Award 2012 shortlist Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- Lannan Foundation. Lannan.org (6 August 2011). Retrieved on 10 August 2011.