Furness in 2009
8 December 1955
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
|Spouse(s)||Hugh Jackman (m. 1996)|
Furness was born in Sydney, Australia, and raised in Melbourne. She studied acting at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City, where she graduated in either 1981 or 1982. She performed in the United States on the stage in New York and as Kathleen, the Australian wife of Cole Gioberti (Billy Moses) on the television series Falcon Crest before returning to Australia to continue her acting career.
Furness rose to fame in 1988, when she starred in the movie Shame, for which she won Best Actor awards from the Film Critics Circle of Australia and Golden Space Needle. Other roles included an episode of Halifax f.p. and The Flying Doctors. In 1995, she starred in the title role in the television series Correlli, where she met her future husband, Hugh Jackman.
An adoptive mother of two, Furness is known for her work assisting orphans globally and streamlining international adoptions, especially in her native Australia where she is a patron, and one of the creators, of National Adoption Awareness Week. She has addressed the National Press Club of Australia on the subject of adoption laws in Australia. Furness is a patron of the Lighthouse Foundation for displaced children and International Adoption Families for Queensland. She is also a World Vision ambassador and serves on the Advisory Committee for Film Aid International, working with refugees throughout the world.
She is married to fellow actor Hugh Jackman. They met on the set of Australian TV show Correlli in 1995. The ceremony took place on 11 April 1996 at St. John's in Toorak, Victoria, a suburb of Melbourne. After suffering two miscarriages, she adopted two children with Jackman: son Oscar Maximillian (born 15 May 2000) and daughter Ava Eliot (born 10 July 2005).
|1985||Crossover Dreams||Unknown role|
|1986||Jenny Kissed Me||Carol Grey|
|1986||The Humpty Dumpty Man||Carmel DeVries|
|1987||The Bit Part||Acting Teacher|
|1988||Evil Angels||Magazine Reporter|
|1988||Two Brothers Running||Silver's Secretary|
|1990||The Last of the Finest||Linda Daly|
|1991||Voyager||Ivy||Also known as Homo Faber|
|1995||Angel Baby||Louise Goodman|
|1998||The Real Macaw||Beth Girdis|
|2010||Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole||Barran||Voice role|
|1975||Division 4||Junior 1||Episode: "The Human Factor"|
|1979||Prisoner||Connie||3 episodes; one uncredited role|
|1985||Neighbours||Linda Fielding||5 episodes|
|1985||The Flying Doctors||Fran||TV miniseries|
|1985||Glass Babies||Joan Simpson||Television film|
|1987||Falcon Crest||Unknown role||Episode: "The New Faces"|
|1987||The Flying Doctors||Sapphire||Episode: "Sapphire"|
|1987||A Matter of Convenience||Valma||Television film|
|1988||Act of Betrayal||Kathy||Television film|
|1993||Singapore Sling||Annie||Television film|
|1994||G.P.||Kate Morrison||Episode: "All of Me"|
|1995||Halifax f.p.||Brigit Grant||Episode: "The Feeding"|
|1995||Correlli||Louisa Correlli||5 episodes|
|1995–1996||Fire||Dolores Kennedy||17 episodes|
|1997||Roar||Agrona||Episode: "The Cage"|
|2000||SeaChange||Vicki Drury||Episode: "Hungi Jury"|
|2010||This Is Your Life||Herself|
|2013||Phineas and Ferb||Additional Voices||Episode: "Primal Perry"|
- 1988 SIFF Award for the best actress in Seattle International Film Festival.
- 1988 Film Critics Circle of Australia Award for the best actress.
- 1991 Silver Shell for the best actress in San Sebastián International Film Festival.
- Emery, Debbie (11 June 2011). "Daddy's girl! Hugh Jackman sweeps up daughter Ava in his arms for a cuddle". Daily Mail (UK).
Jackman was in the Big Apple celebrating his wife Deborra-Lee Furness' 56th birthday...
- "Deborra-Lee Furness profile". OVGuide. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- Dunning, Jennifer (29 July 1988). "New Face: Deborra-Lee Furness; Bringing 'Shame' to the City". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Alumni Spotlight - 1980s". The Journal of the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. Fall–Winter 2008. p. 15 (unnumbered). Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- Falcon Crest
- Lee, Sandra (10 November 2012). "Deborra-Lee Furness spills on life with Hugh Jackman". ews.com.au (NewsLifeMedia, News Corporation). Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- National Adoption Awareness Week: Key People. Accessed 2 January 2013
- Silverman, Stephen (5 September 2013). "Hugh Jackman's Wife Reveals Just How She Likes Him". People Magazine. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
Furness serves as a board member of the Worldwide Orphan Foundation to help create a National Adoption Awareness Week, "to shine a light on the fact that there are 153 million orphans in the world," she says: "If that were a country, it would be the ninth-largest in the world, just ahead of Russia."
- Vasek, Lanai (9 November 2011). "Deborra-Lee Furness calls for uniform laws, stronger voice on adoption". The Australian. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Deborra-Lee Furness". National Press Club. 9 November 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
Deborra-Lee Furness is an internationally acclaimed actress as well as a passionate supporter of children and defender of their human rights across the globe.
- "Lighthouse Patrons". Lighthouse Foundation. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Bone Marrow Donor Institute". Bmdi.org.au. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "Advisory Board". Film Aid International. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Deborra-Lee Furness spills on life with Hugh Jackman". News.com.au (NewsLifeMedia, News Corporation). 10 November 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Deborra-Lee Furness". Enough Rope with Andrew Denton / Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 29 March 2004. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "The Wedding of the Year 1996". Trumpet Events. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- Schafer, Jenny (16 May 2010). "Hugh Jackman & His Birthday Boy". CelebrityBabyScoop.com. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
...Oscar’s 10th birthday, which was yesterday.
- "Hugh Jackman & His Wife Adopt a Daughter". People. 27 July 2005. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Deborra-Lee Furness named NSW Australian of the Year - The Sydney Morning Herald
- Deborra-Lee Furness Honoured as NSW Australian of the Year - ABC Online
- NSW government congratulates Furness
- El Mundo
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Deborra-Lee Furness.|
- National Adoption Awareness Week
- World Wide Orphans Foundation
- Deborra-Lee Furness at the Internet Movie Database