Debra J. Saunders (born 1954) is a conservative columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle. Syndicated by Creators Syndicate, her thrice weekly column is also carried by newspapers throughout the country and on townhall.com. Saunders also blogs for the Chronicle under the moniker Token Conservative.
Between 1987 and 1992, Saunders was a columnist and editorial writer for the Los Angeles Daily News. She has previously worked for conservative advocacy groups and for a Republican leader of the California State Assembly.
Although viewed by some as a conservative Republican, Saunders consistently opposed the War on Drugs. She campaigned in her column for President Bush to issue more pardons and sentence commutations. She also supports same-sex marriage.
Saunders puts herself in the "agnostic/skeptic global-warming camp,".
- 500,000 Californians Lose Health Policies"
- Pardon more than the turkey Debra Saunders, Nov. 23, 2006
- Your Tax dollars on Drugs Debra Saunders, Feb. 12, 2006
- The homophobic party? Debra Saunders, Nov. 10, 2004
- City Hall of Love Debra Saunders, May 16, 2008
- Josh Wolf - Blogger - Has No Press Pass Debra Saunders, Feb. 27, 2007
- Polar bear pandering Debra Saunders, Nov. 4, 2007
- Foreskin Man
- Circumcision ballot measure and anti-Semitism Debra Saunders, June 2, 2011
- Token Conservative
- Podcasts of Saunders' recent articles
- Debra Saunders speaks against clemency for Stanley Tookie Williams