|Studio album by Deborah Harry|
|Released||August 24, 1993|
|Length||59:20 (UK: 53:56)|
Reprise Records (U.S.)
Chrysalis Records (UK)
|Deborah Harry chronology|
Debravation is the fourth solo album by Deborah Harry. Released in 1993, the album reached no. 24 in the UK. It was also the final album Harry made whilst signed to the Chrysalis label, thus ending a successful partnership that began with Blondie and had endured for over 15 years.
The first single from the album was the dance track "I Can See Clearly", which reached no.23 in the UK. The second single, ballad "Strike Me Pink", had a controversial promotional video that was banned for being too disturbing - it featured a man in a glass tank filled with water, as Harry sits and watches him drown.
The U.S. version of the album contained two additional tracks, including "My Last Date (With You)" which featured instrumental backing from R.E.M..
Debravation was re-issued in 2005 by Wounded Bird Records.
|1.||"I Can See Clearly Listen (help·info)"||Arthur Baker, Tony McIlwaine||Arthur Baker||3:52|
|2.||"Stability"||Deborah Harry, Chris Stein, Franne Golde, Allee Willis||Chris Stein||4:59|
|3.||"Strike Me Pink"||Deborah Harry, Anne Dudley, Jonathan Bernstein||Anne Dudley||4:02|
|4.||"Rain"||Leigh Foxx||Jon Astley, Chris Stein||4:13|
|5.||"Communion Listen (help·info)"||Deborah Harry, Guy Pratt||Guy Pratt||6:35|
|6.||"Lip Service"||Deborah Harry, Toni C.||Toni C.||3:32|
|7.||"Mood Ring"||Deborah Harry, Chris Stein||Anne Dudley||4:30|
|8.||"Keep On Going"||Jon Astley||Jon Astley||4:16|
|9.||"Dancing Down The Moon"||Deborah Harry, Chris Stein||Chris Stein||3:10|
|10.||"Standing In My Way"||Deborah Harry, Leigh Foxx||John Williams||4:10|
|11.||"The Fugitive"||Deborah Harry, Chris Stein||Chris Stein||4:55|
|12.||"Dog Star Girl"||Chris Stein, William Gibson||Chris Stein||5:34|
|The following tracks also appear on the US CD release|
|13.||"My Last Date (With You)"||Boudleaux Bryant, Floyd Cramer, Skeeter Davis||R.E.M., Andy Paley||2:57|
|14.||"Tear Drops"||Calhoun, Golden||Andy Paley||2:27|
- Deborah Harry - vocals
- Chris Stein - guitar, programming
- Guy Pratt - guitar, keyboards, drum programming
- Pete Min - guitar
- Tim Renwick - guitar
- Stuart Kimball - guitar
- Michael Hehir - guitar
- J.J. Belle - guitar
- Chester Kaymen - guitar
- Danny Wilensky - saxophone
- Philip Todd - saxophone
- Andy Paley - piano, drums, background vocals
- Steve Piggot - keyboards
- Danny Schogger - keyboards
- Anne Dudley - keyboards
- Jon Astley - keyboards
- Carrie Boothe - keyboards, background vocals
- Tony McIlwaine - keyboards, programming
- Arthur Baker - keyboards, programming
- Nikolai Vorkapich - keyboards, programming
- Lenny Dee - keyboards, programming
- Eric Kupper - keyboards, programming
- Steve Rimland - keyboards, programming
- Richard T. Norris - keyboards, programming
- Toni C. - keyboards, programming
- Leigh Foxx - bass guitar
- Andy Pask - bass
- Steve Barnacle - bass
- Geoff Dugmore - drums
- CJ Vanston - synthesizer drums
- Frank Ricotti - percussion
- Ian Wilson - background vocals
- Tessa Niles - background vocals
- Linda Taylor - background vocals
- Katie Kissoon - background vocals
- Andy Caine - background vocals
- John Williams - background vocals
- Jonathon Paley - background vocals
- R.E.M. - performance on "My Last Date with You"
- Arthur Baker - producer "I Can See Clearly"
- Chris Stein - producer "Stability", "Rain", "Dancing Down The Moon", "The Fugitive", "Dog Star Girl",
- Anne Dudley - producer "Strike Me Pink", "Mood Ring"
- Jon Astley - producer "Rain", "Keep On Going"
- Guy Pratt - producer "Communion"
- Adam Yellin - producer/recording engineer/mixing engineer
- Toni C. - producer "Lip Service"
- John Williams - producer "Standing In My Way"
- R.E.M. - producers "My Last Date With You"
- Andy Paley - producer "My Last Date With You", "Tear Drops"
- Kennan Keating - sound engineer
- Louis Scalise - sound engineer
- Andy Cardenas - sound engineer
- Neil McLellan - sound engineer
- Michael O' Hora - sound engineer
- Roger Dudley - sound engineer
- Glen Skinner - sound engineer
- Bill Esses - sound engineer
- Darrin Tidsey- sound engineer
- Geoff Foster - sound engineer
- Rich Travali - sound engineer
Debravation Producer's Cut
In 1994, Deborah Harry released a different version of the album independently, entitled Debravation (8½) Producer's (Director's) Cut. According to Harry's official website, this version was the original version of the album that was presented to the record company for release. When her record company opted for a different track listing, Harry had a limited number of copies pressed of her original version of the album which were sold at her live concerts and via her website. The Producer's Cut contained a two tracks that were identical to the ones found on the record company release of Debravation, but also included alternate versions of several tracks, as well as tracks that were used as B-sides, and some previously unreleased material.
The musicians for the Producer's Cut were Chris Stein (guitar and programming), Pete Min (guitar), Leigh Foxx (bass) and Geoff Dugmore (drums). On the live version of "Black Dog", the musicians were Steve Barnacle (bass); Carrie Boothe (keyboards); Geoff Dugmore (drums); Karl Hyde (guitar); and Melissa Poole-Stein (backing vocals).
|1.||"8½ Rhumba"||Nino Rota||song not included on Debravation|
|2.||"Rain"||Leigh Foxx||alternate version|
|3.||"Dog Star Girl"||Chris Stein, William Gibson|
|4.||"Stability"||Deborah Harry, Chris Stein, Franne Golde, Allee Willis||alternate version|
|5.||"Standing In My Way"||Deborah Harry, Leigh Foxx||alternate version with additional vocals by Joey Ramone|
|6.||"Dancing Down The Moon"||Deborah Harry, Chris Stein||alternate version|
|7.||"Black Dog"||Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones||recorded live at the Hammersmith Odeon, London on July 23, 1991; song not included on Debravation|
|8.||"Mood Ring"||Deborah Harry, Chris Stein||alternate version|
|9.||"The Fugitive"||Deborah Harry, Chris Stein|
|10.||"The Date"||Deborah Harry, Chris Stein||song not included on Debravation|
|11.||"On A Breath"||Leigh Foxx||song not included on Debravation|