|Headquarters||Villeneuve d'Ascq, France|
|Subsidiaries||Kalenji, Quechua, simond etc.|
Decathlon is a global sporting goods chain store of French origin, with stores located throughout the world. Decathlon started with a shop near Lille, France in 1976. It began to expanded abroad a decade later, to Germany in 1986, Spain in 1992, Italy in 1998, Portugal and the United Kingdom in 1999. Decathlon entered the American market by purchasing the New England 20-store MVP Sports chain in 1999, re-branding them as Decathlon USA. A restructuring led to all but four Massachusetts locations closing in 2003. In September 2006, Decathlon announced its decision to exit the US Market by year end.
The retailer stocks a wide range of sporting goods, from tennis racquets to advanced scuba diving equipment, usually in large superstores. Decathlon Group also owns the Toboggan and Decat stores, the former sells sporting goods at discount prices, while the latter is a smaller high street sized version of the larger Decathlon superstores.
Stores are located globally, in the following countries:
- Belgium: 14 stores
- Brazil: 14 stores
- Bulgaria: 3 stores
- Czech Republic: 7 stores
- China: 41 stores
- Croatia: 1 store
- France: 251 stores
- Germany: 15 stores
- Hungary: 16 stores
- India: 15 stores
- Italy: 91 stores
- Kuwait: 1 store
- Netherlands: 3 stores
- Poland: 37 stores
- Portugal: 22 stores
- Romania: 13 stores
- Russia: 10 stores
- Spain: 98 stores
- Sweden: 2 store
- Turkey: 5 stores
- Taiwan: 4 stores
- United Kingdom: 14 stores
- United States: (closed 2006)
- Lebanon: 1 store
- United Arab Emirates: 1 store
- Morocco: 2 stores
In India, Decathlon products can be bought directly through their stores subsequent to change in India's FDI policy and approval for Decathlon in February 2013. In addition to this, Decathlon products are also available online through their online resellers. These include PlayGroundOnline, Prrem's - The Winter Wear Store, Snapdeal, Sports365.in and a few more.
The chain develops and sells its own brands. Each group of activities has a separate brand name:
- APTONIA - Nutrition and health care
- ARTENGO - Racket sports
- B'TWIN - Cycling
- CAPERLAN - Fishing
- DOMYOS - fitness articles, cardio and yoga, but also classical dance and martial arts
- FLX - Cricket
- FOUGANZA - Horse riding
- GEOLOGIC - Outdoor sports, archery, darts and pétanque
- GEONAUTE - Sports & Electronics
- INESIS - Golf
- KALENJI - Running
- KIPSTA - Team sports
- NABAIJI - Swimming
- NEWFEEL - Walking
- OXELO - Roller, skate and ice sports
- Quechua - Mountain and outdoor sports
- ROCKRIDER - Mountain biking
- SIMOND - Mountaineering
- SOLOGNAC - Hunting
- TRIBORD - Water sports
- WED'ZE - Skiing, snowboarding
- MYSPORTEEZY - Event organization (birthday, corporate day...)
Brands providing technical support for the products of its passion brands:
- EQUAREA - Clothing designed for the active removal of sweat
- ESSENSOLE - Shoe soles and insoles
- NOVADRY - waterproof and breathable clothes
- OUTCHOC - Sport protection
- STRATERMIC - Warm and light clothes
- STRENFIT - Light and Robust Synthetic fabrics (non garment)
- SUPPORTIV - Support and compression
Decathlon, distributes in its stores and online, the Oxylane network brand products such as Tribord, Quechua, Domyos, B'Twin or Solognac or materials developed with component brands, such as Novadry, or Equarea Stratermic. Decathlon also provide products of international brands such as Nike, Adidas, Reebok, etc.
Its success has greatly contributed to the decline in selling prices in France and the concentration of the sector, while its own brands more innovative start sometimes great difficulties of traditional manufacturers. As for Wal Mart in food distribution, some manufacturers and not others are referenced in global supply distributor. In 2008, the brand Decathlon beat all its competitors on three points: margin, market share, highest turnover per square meter of retail space. It is up to the third at a world level. A 2008 survey of 774 catchment areas at the request of the Ministry of Economy and Finance shows that "for sporting goods, Decathlon is dominant in 92.8% of zones". This hegemonic position has the dual effect of marginalizing its commercial competitors, including independent retailers, and ruin or pushing the relocation of industrial sector.
In 2009, Decathlon's sector rivals Go Sport and Sport 2000 combined themselves to create a common purchasing center in Switzerland intended to "pressurize most of the major international suppliers", according to François Neukirsh DG of GO Sport in newspaper Les Échos.
- "Simond racheté par Oxylane Groupe". 7 April 2008.
- "Decathlon store finder, Hungary". Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "Decathlon Italia - Company Profile". Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "Decathlon - Acquista on line tutti gli sport su decathlon.it". Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "http://www.indianexpress.com/news/fipb-okays-4-single-brand-retail-proposals/1073774/". Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "http://www.zanzisport.com/spip/article.php3?id_article=694". Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- See Thiébault Dromard : La vérité sur la domination de Decathlon, Challenges, 13 November 2008 ; Thomas Baume and Gery Bertrande : Decathlon - Locomotive ou rouleau compresseur ?, Le Journal des Entreprises 59, Template:1er mai 2009 ; Gilles Tanguy : Decathlon, le colosse qui écrase tous ses rivaux, Capital, 3 juillet 2009.
- Distribution : l'enquête secrète de Lagarde, Le Nouvel Observateur Template:Numéro2275, June 12, 2008
- « La déferlante des MDD façon Decathlon déstabilise évidemment les marques traditionnelles. », Gilles Tanguy : Decathlon, le colosse qui écrase tous ses rivaux, Capital, 3 July 2009 ; « Cinq cents personnes rassemblées jeudi à Saint-Denis (Seine-Saint-Denis) à l'appel de la fédération textile - habillement - cuir CGT, ont envahi un magasin Decathlon près du Stade de France pour protester contre les plans de licenciements et les délocalisations dans le secteur textile, a-t-on appris de sources policière et syndicale. », Nouvelobs.com, 06.03.2003.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Decathlon Group.|