Decatur High School (Federal Way, Washington)
|Decatur High School|
|Location||Federal Way, Washington, USA|
|District||Federal Way School District|
Navy Blue, Gold, Orange
Decatur High School is an American secondary school teaching grades nine through twelve. A part of the Federal Way School District, it was founded in 1971 in Federal Way, Washington.The graduating classes of 1973-1976 were schooled in the Illahee Middle School building. The school was built in 1976, renovated in 1987, then again remodeled in 2002.
Although sometimes assumed to have been named after Commodore Stephen Decatur, a War of 1812 and the First Barbary War and the Second Barbary War naval hero, the school is in fact named after the USS Decatur, a ship named for Stephen Decatur that assisted settlers during the 1856 Battle of Seattle. A logo incorporating an image of the Decatur features prominently on the school's student identification cards.
Decatur was originally built as an "open concept" high school, where students were encouraged to study at their own pace in an open environment. Within the framework of this concept, there were few permanent walls built in the school's original structure. However, this experimental approach was scrapped after the 1976-77 school year when it was discovered that not all high school students were self-motivated enough to meet the district's education standards.
Approximately 1,650 students attend the school.
Academic and Student Programs
- Anime Club
- Associated Student Body
- Athletic training
- Band: Concert Band,Symphonic Band, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, Pep Band
- Badminton Club
- Book Club
- Chess Club
- Choir (Jazz, Concert, and Women's)
- Creative Writing Club
- Distributive Education Club of America (DECA)
- Driver’s Education/Traffic Safety Classes
- Fashion Club
- FOCUS Photography Club
- French Club
- Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
- Future Community Career Leaders of America (FCCLA)
- Gator Nation
- Honor Society
- International Club (Gators Taking Action)
- Key Club
- Math Team
- Odyssey of the Mind, Division III
- Reach Club
- Skills U.S.A.
- Special Education (consultant, Inclusion, resource room and self-contained)
- SPSL sports – all programs
- Study Club
Decatur is part of the South Division of the 3A South Puget Sound League in Washington's West Central District (as of 2008-2009). Recent team finishes in State Championships include:
- 1st in '01 and '02 in boys soccer, at one point the team was ranked 7th('01) and 2nd('02) in the entire nation. 1989 3rd in state boys soccer.
- 2013 USA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS (Kick, Small Military, and Medium Military),2012 USA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS (kick),1st in '13 (Military),2nd in '07, '11, and '12 (military), 3rd in '06 and '09 (military), 4th in '05, '08, '10(military), and 1ST IN '10 (POM),2nd in '13 (Pom), 2nd in '11(kick) and 3rd in '11(pom), 1st in '12,'13 (kick) for the Dance/Drill Team
- 5th in State Girls Basketball
- 1st in 2003 and '05, 3rd in '04, 4th in '02, and 7th in '01 and '06 for Boys Swim and Dive
- 2nd in '04, 3rd in '05, and 4th in '00 for Boys Tennis
- 2nd in 1996 for Boys Basketball
- 3rd in '00 for Girls Tennis
- 3rd in '04 for Girls Track and Field
- 4th in '05, 5th in '00, and 7th in '06 for Girls Swim and Dive
- 1st in '04 and '11 for Cheerleading
- 1st in '12 for fastest wrestling tournament, Joe Smith (Tacmoa) 34 second pin, Zach Sexton (Cascade) 24 second pin, Gary Harbrough (Mukilteo) 46.3 second pin.
- Semi Finals in '08 for Boys Basketball lost to Federal Way High School
Other sports are Football, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Gymnastics, Fastpitch Softball, Volleyball, Soccer, Wrestling and Golf.
Decatur's main rivals are the Federal Way Eagles.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
- Ben Henderson, professional Mixed Martial Artist, former WEC and UFC Lightweight Champion
- Bill Radke, host of KIRO radio's morning show
- Apolo Anton Ohno, 8 time Olympic medalist
- Rich Cho, General Manager of the Charlotte Bobcats
- "Benson Henderson UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014.
- Decatur High School Website
- South Puget Sound League: Decatur High School
- Decatur Boy's Basketball Website