Decatur High School (Georgia)
|Decatur High School|
|310 North McDonough Street
Decatur, Georgia, 30030-3393
|School district||Decatur City School District|
|Region||4B in Class AAA (GHSA)|
|Website||Decatur High School|
The standard core curriculum at Decatur High School is taught at the College-Preparatory (CP) level, Advanced (Adv), and the Advanced Placement (AP) level may begin in the 10th grade. Students may also enroll in work-study opportunities, internships, and take joint enrollment classes at local colleges.The school met the Adequate Yearly Progress for the 2010-2011 school year. 87% of the class of 2012 are attending a four year college and 58% met the HOPE Scholarship.
The average scores for the PSAT, SAT, and the Georgia High School Graduation Test are all above the state averages. 101 students took the ACT, and 149 Students took the SAT by the Fall 2012 semester. The school met Adequate Yearly Progress for the 2010-2011 school year. 87% of the class of 2012 are attending a four year college and 58% met the HOPE Scholarship. Students also have the take the MAP (Measures of Academic Progress) tests three times every year until their senior year.
The school continues the middle years programme started at Renfroe Middle School through the 9th and 10th grades. Sophomores may apply to the Diploma Programme after completion of the middle years programme.
AP classes offered
- Calculus AB
- Calculus BC
- Environmental Science
- Language and Composition
- Literature and Composition
- Music Theory
- Spanish Language
- United States History
- World History
- Became an AP Honor School and was included in the Washington Post’s Challenge Index.
- Five seniors entered the HerWorld competition and won by designing a smart toothbrush.
- Roy Blount, Jr., writer and humorist
- Frank Broyles, football player, coach, athletic director
- Felipe Claybrooks, NFL player
- DeForest Kelley, actor
- Matthew O'Brien, author and journalist
- Daniel Wilcox, NFL player
- Morgan Saylor, actress
- "20122013SchoolProfile". dhs.csdecatur.net. Decatur High School Counselors Office. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Measures of Academic Progress (MAP)". City Schools of Decatur. City Schools of Decatur. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Renfroe Middle School and Decatur High School International Baccalaureate-Middle Years Program". Decatur High School. City schools of Decatur. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "CSD Annual Report 2010-2011". http://csdecatur.net. City Schools of Decatur. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Kloer, Phil. The Blount Truth." Atlanta Journal-Constitution. March 29, 1987.
- "Proud sports history honored at Decatur." The Atlanta-Journal Constitution. November 2, 2001. F1.