Dechene, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Dechene
Neighbourhood
Dechene is located in Edmonton
Dechene
Dechene
Location of Dechene in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°29′31″N 113°38′02″W / 53.492°N 113.634°W / 53.492; -113.634
Country  Canada
Province  Alberta
City Edmonton
Quadrant[1] NW
Ward[1] 5
Sector[2] West
Area[3][4] West Jasper Place
Government[5]
 • Administrative body Edmonton City Council
 • Councillor Karen Leibovici
Area[6]
 • Total 0.72 km2 (0.28 sq mi)
Elevation 682 m (2,238 ft)
Population (2012)[7]
 • Total 1,721
 • Density 2,390.3/km2 (6,191/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12) Decrease-6.1%
 • Dwellings 599

Dechene is a roughly triangle-shaped residential neighbourhood in west Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. According to the city of Edmonton map utility, "the neighbourhood is named after Joseph M. Dechene, the father of Judge Andre M. Dechene." The area was annexed by Edmonton in 1972.

According to the 2001 federal census, residential development of the neighbourhood began during the 1980s when six out of ten (62.5%) of the residences were built. Another one in three (35.7%) were built during the 1990s.[8]

The most common type of residence in the neighbourhood, according to the 2005 municipal census, is the single-family dwelling. These account for nine out of every ten (89%) of all the residences in the neighbourhood. The remaining one in ten (11%) are duplexes.[9] Substantially all (97%) of the residences are owner-occupied.[10]

There are two schools in the neighbourhood. The Good Shepherd Catholic Elementary School is operated by the Edmonton Catholic School System while the S. Bruce Smith Junior High School is operated by the Edmonton Public School System.

The neighbourhood is bounded on the north by Callingwood Road, on the east and south east by 178 Street and Lessard Road, and on the west by 184 Street.

Residents have access to West Edmonton Mall to the north along 178 Street.

Demographics[edit]

In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Dechene had a population of 1,721 living in 599 dwellings,[7] a -6.1% change from its 2009 population of 1,833.[11] With a land area of 0.72 km2 (0.28 sq mi),[6] it had a population density of 2,390.3 people/km2 in 2012.[6][7]

Surrounding neighbourhoods[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  3. ^ "The Way We Grow: Municipal Development Plan Bylaw 15100". City of Edmonton. 2010-05-26. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  4. ^ "City of Edmonton Plans in Effect". City of Edmonton. November 2011. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  5. ^ "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  6. ^ a b c "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  7. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  8. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/DD23/FEDERAL%202001/Neighbourhood/DECHENE.pdf
  9. ^ Duplexes include triplexes and fourplexes.
  10. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/C05002/MUNICIPAL%202005/Neighbourhood/DECHENE.pdf
  11. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 

External links[edit]