Dedicated short-range communications
Dedicated short-range communications are one-way or two-way short- to medium-range wireless communication channels specifically designed for automotive use and a corresponding set of protocols and standards. In October 1999, the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in the USA allocated 75MHz of spectrum in the 5.9GHz band for DSRC to be used by Intelligent Transportation Systems ITS. Also, in Europe in August 2008 the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) has allocated 30 MHz of spectrum in the 5.9GHz band for ITS.
Other possible applications are:
- Emergency warning system for vehicles
- Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control
- Cooperative Forward Collision Warning
- Intersection collision avoidance
- Approaching emergency vehicle warning (Blue Waves)
- Vehicle safety inspection
- Transit or emergency vehicle signal priority
- Electronic parking payments
- Commercial vehicle clearance and safety inspections
- In-vehicle signing
- Rollover warning
- Probe data collection
- Highway-rail intersection warning
- Electronic toll collection
- EN 12253:2004 Dedicated Short-Range Communication – Physical layer using microwave at 5.8 GHz (review)
- EN 12795:2002 Dedicated Short-Range Communication (DSRC) – DSRC Data link layer: Medium Access and Logical Link Control (review)
- EN 12834:2002 Dedicated Short-Range Communication – Application layer (review)
- EN 13372:2004 Dedicated Short-Range Communication (DSRC) – DSRC profiles for RTTT applications (review)
- EN ISO 14906:2004 Electronic Fee Collection – Application interface
Each standard addresses different layers in the OSI model communication stack.
 See also
- Harvey J. Miller and Shih-Lung Shaw (2001). Geographic Information Systems for Transportation. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-512394-8.
- "Federal Communications Commission. News Release, October 1999". FCC. Retrieved 2009-08-16.
- "European Telecommunications Standards Institute. News Release, September 2008". ETSI. Retrieved 2009-08-16.
- "DSRC Standards: What's New?". standards.its.dot.gov. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- "Traffic congestion pricing methodologies and technologies".
- Performance Evaluation of Short-Range Communication Links for Road Transport & Traffic Telematics (German)
- A comparison of different technologies for EFC and other ITS applications
- Validation of Dedicated Short-Range Communications
- Connectsafe Wireless Vehicle Communication System - University of South Australia
|This article about wireless technology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|