Dedicated to the One I Love
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
|"Dedicated to the One I Love"|
|Single by The Shirelles|
|B-side||"Look a Here Baby"|
|Writer(s)||Lowman Pauling, Ralph Bass|
|The Shirelles singles chronology|
"Dedicated to the One I Love" is a song written by Lowman Pauling and Ralph Bass which was a hit for The "5" Royales, The Shirelles and The Mamas & the Papas. Pauling was the guitarist of The "5" Royales, the group that recorded the original version of this song, produced by Bass, in 1957. Their version was re-released in 1961 and charted at #81 on the Billboard Hot 100.
The Shirelles version
- A version recorded by The Shirelles was a hit for them in 1959. In 1961, they re-released their version and it reached #3 on the Hot 100 chart and #2 on the R&B charts.
The Mamas & The Papas version
- A subsequent and more famous cover by The Mamas & the Papas released on the Dunhill label went to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1967. This version also reached #2 on the UK charts. The lead singer on the Mamas & the Papas version was Michelle Phillips. It was the first time that Phillips was given the lead over Mama Cass Elliott.
- Reparata and the Delrons covered the song on their 1965 LP Whenever a Teenager Cries.
- In 1972, The Temprees' version reached #93 on the Hot 100.
- In 1973, there was a reggae version by Hubert Ree (Hubert Lee) on the Count Shelly label - CS-026.
- Bernadette Peters recorded a Hot 100 hit version in 1981, reaching #65.
- Bitty McLean recorded a reggae remake in 1994, which reached #6 on the UK Singles Chart.
- In 1996, Linda Ronstadt recorded "Dedicated to the One I Love" and made it the title song of her album, Dedicated to the One I Love released that year which featured oldies redone as lullabies.
- Tanya Stephens included the song on her 1998 album Ruff Rider.
- Holly Cole included the song on her 2000 album Romantically Helpless.
- Ruben and the Jets released it on their 1973 album For Real!
- Wilson Phillips, featuring Chynna Phillips, the daughter of John and Michelle from the Mamas and the Papas, released it on their 2013 album Dedicated with Cass Elliot's daughter Owen Elliot-Kugell singing Cass's line "And it's something that everybody needs." 
Song in popular culture
- In 1992, the long-running CBS night time soap, Knots Landing, named an episode, "Dedicated to the One I Love", in which The Mamas & The Papas' version of the song is played in the background.
- In D-TV Disney, the Mamas and the Papas' version was set to Sleeping Beauty.
- In 2005, the song was covered by the final 10 of the second season of New Zealand Idol.
- The song is used in the last scene and fade-out of the movie Morvern Callar (1995).
- In an episode of the television show China Beach, which has been described as a Vietnam-era version of M*A*S*H, the actress Chloe Webb, portraying a USO touring backup singer, offers a tender and emotional version of this song to a fatally injured soldier as a last request to help his death.
- Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 36 - The Rubberization of Soul: The great pop music renaissance. [Part 2] : UNT Digital Library" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu. Retrieved April 29, 2011.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 523.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 392.
- Wirt, John (2013-09-26), Wilson Phillips enjoys career resurgence, reconnecting, The Advocate, retrieved 2014-05-23