Dee Dee Sharp
|Dee Dee Sharp|
|Birth name||Dione LaRue|
September 9, 1945 |
|Labels||Cameo, Atco, Atlantic, Gamble, Philadelphia International|
|This section requires expansion. (December 2009)|
In 1962 she began a string of successful Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 hits: "Slow Twistin'" (with Chubby Checker) (#3) for which she was uncredited on the label, "Mashed Potato Time" (#2), "Gravy (For My Mashed Potatoes)" (#9), "Ride" (#5) and "Do the Bird" (#10). Both "Mashed Potato Time" and "Ride" each sold over one million copies, and were awarded gold discs. "Do the Bird" provided her only entry in the UK Singles Chart, where it peaked at #46 in April 1963. In 1967, she married record producer Kenny Gamble and has since recorded under the name Dee Dee Sharp-Gamble.
She had a brief career resurgence during the disco era and hit the charts again with her version of 10 CC's "I'm Not In Love." She also joined Lou Rawls, Billy Paul, Teddy Pendergrass, The O'Jays and Archie Bell) as a member of the Philadelphia International All Stars, who had a minor hit with "Let's Clean Up the Ghetto." During this time she was married to Philadelphia International co-founder Kenny Gamble, and was known professionally as Dee Dee Sharp Gamble. The couple later divorced.
More recent appearances included a performance at Pontins in the UK for the Northern Soul Show, and at the 2008 Detroit Jazz Festival. In May 2009, she appeared in Belgium at the Salle De L'Hotel de Ville.
On November 9, 2013, the prestigious Sandy Hosey Lifetime Achievement Award was bestowed upon Sharp by the Artists Music Guild. Sharp thought she was in attendance to bestow the honor upon her longtime friend, Chubby Checker when she was surprised with her own honors. The Sandy Hosey Lifetime Achievement Award is presented to five artists every year by the Guild.
- 1962: It's Mashed Potato Time (US #44)
- 1962: Songs Of Faith
- 1962: Down To Earth with Chubby Checker (US #117)
- 1963: Do The Bird
- 1963: Down Memory Lane
- 1975: Happy Bout The Whole Thing (R&B #48)
- 1977: What Color Is Love (as Dee Dee Sharp Gamble, in association with Kenneth Gamble)
- 1980: Dee Dee (R&B #59)
- 1963: 18 Golden Hits
- 1963: All The Hits
- 1963: Biggest Hits
- 2005: Best Of Dee Dee Sharp 1962-1966
- 2006: Sharp Goes Wild
|1962||"Mashed Potato Time" (Cameo C-212)||2||1|
|"Slow Twistin'" (Parkway P-835)||3||3|
|"Gravy (For My Mashed Potatoes)" (Cameo C-219)||9||11|
|"Ride!" (Cameo C-230)||5||7|
|1963||"Do the Bird"A (Cameo C-244)||10||8|
|"Rock Me in the Cradle of Love" (Cameo C-260)||43||—|
|"Wild!" (Cameo C-274)||33||25|
|1964||"Where Did I Go Wrong" (Cameo C-296)||82||—|
|"Willyam, Willyam" (Cameo C-296)||97||—|
|1965||"I Really Love You" (Cameo C-375)||78||37|
|1975||"Share Your Love"B||—||—|
|1976||"I'm Not In Love" (TSOP 4776)||—||62|
|1980||"Breaking And Entering/Easy Money"C||—||—|
|"I Love You Anyway" (Philadelphia International 70058)||—||79|
- A"Do the Bird" also peaked at #46 on UK Singles.
- B"Share Your Love" also peaked at #28 on Disco Singles
- C"Breaking and Entering" also peaked at #1 on Dance Music/Club Play Singles
- List of artists who reached number one on the Billboard R&B chart
- List of artists who reached number one on the US Dance chart
- List of disco artists (A-E)
- List of people from Philadelphia
- List of acts who appeared on American Bandstand
- "Biography by Andrew Hamilton". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 14 April 2009.
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 152. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 494. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Staff. "For Dee Dee Sharp, a good life moves on", The Philadelphia Inquirer, October 24, 2008. Accessed October 24, 2011. "Over the next 20 years, that spotlight would shine on a career that took her around the world and finally back to Medford, NJ, where she spends most of her time keeping house for her husband, attorney Bill Witherspoon."
- Sharp, Dee Dee. "Sharp is bestowed a Lifetime Achievement Award". Artists Music Guild. Retrieved 9 December 2013.