|Headquarters||London, England & Googleplex, Mountain View, California|
|Industry||Internet, artificial intelligence|
|Employees||75 (estimated) |
DeepMind Technologies is a British artificial intelligence (AI) company founded in 2011 by Demis Hassabis, Mustafa Suleyman and Shane Legg. Major venture capitalist firms Horizons Ventures and Founders Fund are invested in the company, which is currently being referred to as a start-up. Jaan Tallinn was an early investor and an advisor to the company.
Volodymyr Mnih, a company employee, said the last AI breakthrough the company made before being acquired by Google was the creation of a neural network that learns how to play some video games in the same way as humans, using the computer equivalent of hand-to-eye coordination.
Acquisition by Google
On 26 January 2014, Google announced that it had agreed to acquire DeepMind Technologies; analysts later announced that the company was purchased for £400 million ($650M USD / €486M), although later reports estimated the acquisition was valued at over £500 million. The acquisition reportedly took place after Facebook ended negotiations with DeepMind Technologies in 2013, which resulted in no agreement or purchase of the company.
- "Forbes Report - Acquisition". Forbes. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "DeepMind Technologies Landing Page". DeepMind Technologies. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Google Acquisition of DeepMind Technologies". The Verge. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Recode.net - DeepMind Technologies Acquisition". Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- The Last AI Breakthrough DeepMind Made Before Google Bought It, The Physics arXiv Blog
- "Google Acquires UK AI startup Deepmind". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Report of Acquisition, TechCrunch". TechCrunch. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Oreskovic, Alexei. "Reuters Report". Reuters. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Google Acquires Artificial Intelligence Start-Up DeepMind". The Verge. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Google acquires AI pioneer DeepMind Technologies". Ars Technica. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Google beats Facebook for Acquisition of DeepMind Technologies". Retrieved 27 January 2014.
|This article about a company of the UK is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Internet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This artificial intelligence-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|