Deering High School
|Deering High School|
|Location||370 Stevens Avenue,
Portland, Maine, USA
|District||Portland Public Schools|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Colors||Purple and White|
Deering High School (DHS) is a public high school in Portland, Cumberland County, Maine. The school is part of the Portland Public Schools district. It was established in 1874 andis named after the town of Deering, Maine, which later was annexed by the City of Portland in 1898.
Deering High School was established in 1874 after Deering, Maine seceded from Westbrook, Maine in 1871. The first Deering High School building eventually became Longfellow Elementary. The second building was completed in 1889. It burned down in 1921, but was saved and converted into Lincoln Middle School in 1923.
In October 2013, Deering High School announced it would offer an Arabic language course as part of their new international curriculum. It is believed to be the first Arabic language course in Maine public schools.
Memorial Stadium is located behind Deering High School, and is the home field for DHS outdoor sports teams.
The Deering Rams won the Maine Class A Boys' State Basketball Championship on March 3, 2012.
- Thomas H. Allen, United States Representative from Maine (1997–2008)
- Nik Caner-Medley, professional basketball player for Maccabi Tel Aviv
- Ryan Flaherty, professional baseball player
- Robert F. Griffin, CSC, writer
- Nathaniel Mervin Haskell, Governor of Maine
- Wilbur R. Ingalls, Jr., architect
- Heidi Julavits, author
- Anna Kendrick, actress
- Linda Lavin, actress
- Bob Marley, stand-up comedian
- Andrea Martin, actress
- Annie Proulx, writer
- Ryan Reid (baseball) Professional Baseball Player
- Earle G. Shettleworth, Jr., State Historian, Class of 1966
- Edward Whittemore, writer (class of 1951)
- Bouchard, Kelly (July 7, 2010). "New Deering principal returns to familiar setting". Portland Press Herald. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Maine Memory Network - Old Deering High School, Portland, ca. 1900". Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Gallagher, Noel K (October 1, 2013). "Deering High to offer Arabic class". Portland Press Herald. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- DHS Wins Class A Boys' State Basketball Championship Portland Schools, March 6, 2012
- Lenzi, Rachel (November 27, 2008). "Rivalry on Thanksgiving menu in Maine". ESPN. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Tom Allen American Association of Publishers
- "Maryland Terrapins player bio". Umterps.com. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- "Ryan Flaherty Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. July 27, 1986. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- [dead link]
- "Notable Biographies". Notable Biographies. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- Sold out: ‘Twilight Saga: New Moon' cast tour, Seacoast midnight shows SeaCoast Online, November 3, 2009
- Three with Maine ties get Tony nod Portland Press Herald, May 5, 2010
- "Bob Marley (II) – Biography". Akas.imdb.com. May 1, 2009. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- Understanding Annie Proulx By Karen Lane Rood
- "Maine Historic Preservation Commission: Earle G. Shettleworth, Jr.". Maine Historic Preservation Commission. Retrieved November 27, 2011.