Defence Academy of the United Kingdom
|Defence Academy of the United Kingdom|
|Motto||Intellectual Excellence in Defence|
|Established||2002, oldest constituent unit est. 1772|
|Location||Shrivenham, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
The Defence Academy of the United Kingdom provides higher education for personnel in the British Armed Forces, Civil Service, other government departments and service personnel from other nations. The Director General of the Defence Academy is Duncan Potts, a senior Royal Navy officer.
The Defence Academy is headquartered at Shrivenham in southwestern Oxfordshire and delivers education and training in a number of sites. The majority of training is postgraduate with many courses being accredited for the award of civilian qualifications.
The formation of the Defence Academy consolidated education and training delivered by a number of different establishments into a single organisational and budgetary structure, intended to improve efficiency, reduce duplication of effort and align delivery to defence requirements. The Defence Academy is also responsible for the maintenance of relationships with the UK academic establishment and with military and naval service educational institutions worldwide.
Non technical research is carried out for the development of doctrine and analysis of the international security environment.
Delivery units and locations
Training is delivered by:
- Royal College of Defence Studies (RCDS), Seaford House, Belgravia, London
- Joint Services Command and Staff College (JSCSC), Watchfield, Oxfordshire
- Defence Academy - College of Management and Technology (DA-CMT), Shrivenham, Oxfordshire
- Armed Forces Chaplaincy Centre (AFCC), Amport House, Amport, Hampshire
- Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme
- Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College, Loughborough, Leicestershire
The Director General of the Defence Academy chairs the Defence Academy Management Board which is composed of the commandants of the constituent delivery units and Chief of Staff, Defence Academy who also serves as the commanding officer of Shrivenham Station.
The management board report to a four-star steering board and an advisory board including academic expertise from the private sector and academia. A customer board at two-star level represents the customer community.
Directors General have been:
- 2002–2005 Sir Roger Jackling
- 2005–2008 Lieutenant General Sir John Kiszely, late Scots Guards
- 2008–2011 Lieutenant General Andrew Graham, late Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
- 2011–2014 Peter Watkins
- 2014–present Vice Admiral Duncan Potts
- Aim high The Guardian, 16 July 2003.
- "Oxford Leverhulme". Ccw.modhist.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Lieutenant General Andrew Graham takes over from Lieutenant General Sir John Kiszely Defence Academy[dead link]
- Defence Academy, Defence Academy Director
- "Vice Admiral Duncan Potts takes over as Director General Joint Force Development & Defence Academy". News. Defence Academy of the United Kingdom. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Defence Academy of the United Kingdom.|