Defiance Township, Defiance County, Ohio
|Defiance Township, Defiance County, Ohio|
|Brooke Site, an archaeological site in the township|
|• Total||30.9 sq mi (80.1 km2)|
|• Land||29.7 sq mi (76.9 km2)|
|• Water||1.2 sq mi (3.2 km2)|
|Elevation||666 ft (203 m)|
|• Density||453.4/sq mi (175.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086030|
Defiance Township is one of the twelve townships of Defiance County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 13,461 people in the township, 11,601 of whom lived in the city of Defiance, and 1,860 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Noble Township - north
- Richland Township - northeast
- Highland Township - southeast
- Emerald Township, Paulding County - south
- Auglaize Township, Paulding County - southwest
- Delaware Township - northwest
Name and history
It is the only Defiance Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- State Route 15, which travels from north to south near the eastern edge of the township
- State Route 66, which travels from north to south through the eastern half of the township
- State Route 111, which travels from northeast to southwest along the Auglaize River through the center of the township
- State Route 424, which travels along the southern southern side of the Maumee River through the center of the township after breaking off from U.S. Route 24 in the township's west
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- census, Defiance County. Accessed 2007-04-21
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, pp. 34, 35. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.