|Single by The Offspring|
|from the album Orange County soundtrack|
|Released||December 18, 2001|
|Genre||Post-grunge, punk rock, alternative rock|
|The Offspring singles chronology|
"Defy You" is a song by American punk rock band The Offspring. It was recorded (along with its own music video) in 2001 after the release of their album Conspiracy of One for the movie Orange County. The song was also released as a single in December 2001.
Despite early claims that the song would appear on the next Offspring album at the time (which would become Splinter), it was never released on any of their albums save for their Greatest Hits compilation. However, an acoustic version was released on the Japanese edition of Splinter.
The song was also the final single featuring Ron Welty on drums.
|2.||"One Hundred Punks" (Generation X cover)||3:14|
|3.||"Self Esteem" (Live)||4:17|
|4.||"Want You Bad" (Live)||3:23|
The music video for the song was recorded in November 2001, directed by Dave Meyers who also directed the video for "Original Prankster) and debuted on MTV on 8 December. It is mostly a performance video of the band playing in front of a shop where various events relevant to the song's title take place.
At the start of the video a suspicious man steals items from the store. Suddenly the police start running towards the man and he panics, only for them to tackle another man. He then walks past two dogs – one big and one small. The small dog barks down the bigger one. During the instrumental bridge, singer Dexter Holland walks into the store and buys water. After other events, the video ends with a group of nerds being teased by bullies. In keeping with the song's theme, they respond violently and are eventually left alone. The video soon after fades to black.
The music video also appears on the Complete Music Video Collection DVD. It was released in 2005.
|Australian ARIA Charts||22|
|Austrian Singles Chart||54|
|German Media Control Charts||62|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||77|
|U.S. Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||8|
|U.S. Hot Modern Rock Tracks||8|
- "Offspring, The – Defy You". Discogs. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "Defy You". Rate Your Music. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "Orange County (2002) – Soundtracks". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- '"Defy You" in stores on December 18th' Offspring news item 12-12-01
- 'The Offspring are back in the studio' Offspring news item 1-16-03
- 'The Offspring back in the studio' Offspring news item 10-26-01
- Notes from Complete Music Video Collection, released 2005
- '"Defy You" video to debut on MTV' Offspring news item 12-07-01