|Birth name||Sanerivi Sagala|
|Also known as||Hamo|
|Origin||Auckland, New Zealand|
|Associated acts||Chong Nee, PNC, Pieter T|
Sanerivi Sagala better known by his stage name Dei Hamo is a New Zealand Hip hop artist, producer and director.
- NZ Tui Award for Highest Selling Single for 'We Gon Ride' 2005
- NZ Tui Award for Best Music Video for 'We Gon Ride' 2005
- Pacific Music Award for Best Polynesian Male Artist 2006
- Pacific Music Award for Best Pacific Hip Hop Artist 2006
In 2006, Dei Hamo won two awards at the Pacific Music Awards in New Zealand, for his album First Edition. The awards were Best Pacific Male Artist and Best Pacific Urban Artist. Dei Hamo had been up against hip hop heavyweights Savage and King Kapisi in both categories.
In 2005, Dei Hamo's single We Gon' Ride picked up two New Zealand Music Awards for Highest Selling Single of the Year and Best Music Video. The single was No. 1 for 5 weeks and spent 3 months in the NZ Top 10 Charts.
The music video was directed by filmmaker Chris Graham, who also directed some of Scribe's music videos. Graham is also the director of feature film Sione's Wedding which also featured the Dei Hamo/MJ Chong Nee track Whateva.
Dei Hamo's musical career spans more than 15-years. He was part of the legendary Proud hip hop tour and has worked with some of New Zealand's top musicians and performers, including Boh Runga, Tha Feelstyle and DJ Sammy B. He has supported a number of international acts including The Black Eyed Peas and Busta Rhymes.
He went to Aorere College, Papatoetoe in the late 1980s where he was first exposed to the hip hop genre. While in middle school, when his dad bought him his first stereo. Hamo would spend his days and nights perfecting his craft, later claiming to have written a song a day.
Having a passion for film and directing, in 2010 Dei Hamo was asked by a close friend Amy Raumati (also known as Lady Sheeq) to direct a music video for her. Dei Hamo agreed and has now been steadily directing music videos for 2 years.
Dei Hamo also chose to direct the music videos under his real name; Sani Sagala, as he aims to write & direct movies in the near future.
In 2004, his debut single We Gon' Ride spent five continuous weeks at number one on New Zealand's music chart, and 3 months in the top 10. The track went platinum. It also reached the top 40 in Australia.
Dei Hamo is currently working on his long awaited debut album "Black Ice" due for release 2013.
Videography (as director)
Music videos directed by Sani Sagala (Dei Hamo) include:
- Amy Raumati
- Becos of Love 
- Lost Love featuring. Erakah & Dei Hamo 
- Pieter T
- Forever / Fix That 
- Dj Sirvere
- I Want It All 
- Pounamu featuring Young Sid 
- Amy Raumati
- The Calling featuring Ayla 
- The Recipe Freestyle 
- Wait Until Tonight featuring Dei Hamo 
- Big Ka$h
- Cloze Off 
- Be With You featuring Pieter T 
- Queen Shirl'e
- I Got You featuring D Love 
- Find You 
- Aint No Thang 
- MC AJ
Make You Mine Feat. Cookie 
- Tonight Feat. Tyree 
- Be With You REMIX 
- Pieter T
- Right Here Starring Frankie Adams 
- Volatile 
- Tell No Lie Feat. Pieter T 
- Forever 
- Pieter T
- Rumours 
|Album Title||New Zealand Chart||Australian Chart|
|First Edition (2005)||
|Song Title||New Zealand Chart||Australian Chart|
|We Gon' Ride||
|To Tha Floor||
|This Is My Life||
- Barry, Rebecca (5 March 2005). "Cruising with Dei Hamo". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "Bio:Dei Hamo". Music.Net.NZ. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- Album performance @ Australian-charts.com
- Chart Stats @ Australian-charts.com
- NZ Herald interview 2005
- Watch We Gon' Ride music video, NZ On Screen website
- Photo & article Eventpolynesia