Art by Mike Grell.
|First appearance||1st Issue Special #8 (Nov. 1975)|
|Created by||Mike Grell (writer & artist)|
|Place of origin||Skartaris|
|Abilities||see powers and abilities|
Deimos is a fictional supervillain published by DC Comics. He debuted in 1st Issue Special #8, (Nov. 1975), and was created by Mike Grell as a foil for Travis Morgan the Warlord. This should not be confused with the Deimos who is one of the Children of Ares.
Fictional character biography
Initially Deimos used advanced New Atlantean science to achieve his ends, later he became an adept of black magic. Deimos was a high priest of the kingdom of Thera who used knowledge hidden in the legendary Scrolls of Blood to ascend to the throne of that city-state. Not content with a single city-state, he plotted to conquer all of Skartaris only to be foiled by Travis Morgan—now known as the Warlord.
Mask of Life
Deimos was killed by Morgan after kidnapping the hero's paramour, Tara. However, he was soon resurrected by one of his lackeys using the Mask of Life. Deimos initially pretended to be a sorcerer, but his power actually came from access to New Atlantean technology. After being resurrected by the Mask of Life, Deimos became immortal and could transform himself into a serpent or dragon. He could also summon demons from an unknown dimension to do his bidding. The vengeful Deimos kidnapped and cloned Morgan's son Joshua to do battle with his father. Morgan slew both the Joshua clone and Deimos.
Deimos was resurrected several more times before striking a bargain with the Evil One. The Evil One brought the would-be conqueror to life a final time, but stripped him of his powers. Eventually, Morgan and Deimos entered combat for the last time, and Deimos was decapitated and his head thrown to a wolf pack.
Powers and abilities
- Pre-resurrection he had no inherent powers, but was proficient with New Atlantean technology.
- Post-resurrection by the Mask of Life he had: Immortality, could transform into a serpent or dragon, demon summoning.
- Post-resurrection by the Evil One he had no powers.
In other media
- Deimos appeared in an episode of Justice League Unlimited entitled "Chaos at the Earth's Core" voiced by Douglas Dunning. He is seen trying to conquer Skartaris. During his campaign, he was supplied futuristic weapons by Secret Society members Metallo and Silver Banshee in exchange for a huge Kryptonite rock. During a battle with Warlord, he met his apparent demise when he plummeted down a ledge.
- In 1982, several of the characters from the "Warlord" series received action figures in a line called "Lost World of the Warlord" from Remco. Deimos was one of the figures (along with Warlord, Machiste, Rostov, and Hercules).
- In 2011, Deimos received an action figure in Mattel's Justice League Unlimited line, in a multi-pack alongside Warlord and Supergirl.