|• Arabic||دير بلّوط|
|• Also spelled||Dayr Ballout (official)
Deir al-Ballut (unofficial)
|• Type||Village Council|
|Name meaning||"Monastery (or Convent) of the Oak"|
Deir Ballut (Arabic: دير بلّوط) is a Palestinian town located in the Salfit Governorate in the northern West Bank, 41 kilometers (25 mi) south west of Nablus. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, it had a population of 3,195 in 2007.
Arab geographer Yaqut al-Hamawi records in 1226, while Deir Ballut was under Mamluk rule, "Deir al-Ballut was a village of district around ar-Ramla." In the 1882 "Survey of Western Palestine", the village was described as "a small village, partly ruinous, but evidently once a place of greater importance, with rock-cut tombs. The huts are principally of stone. The water supply is from wells." To the west of the village are rock-tombs, from a Christian age.
Deir Ballut was the site of minor engagement between Turkish and British troops on the March 12, 1918.
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Finkelstein, Israel; Lederman, Zvi, eds. (1997). Highlands of many cultures. Tel Aviv: Institute of Archaeology of Tel Aviv University Publications Section. ISBN 965-440-007-3. (I p. 242)
- Guérin, Victor (1875). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 2: Samarie, pt. 2. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale. (p. 130)
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- le Strange, Guy (1890). Palestine Under the Moslems: A Description of Syria and the Holy Land from A.D. 650 to 1500. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Welcome To Dayr Ballut
- SWP map XIV, IAA
- SWP map 14, Wikimedia commons
- New Colonial Activity in Deir Ballut Village - Salfit District 12, March, 2000, ARIJ
- War against trees and sheep 10, March, 2004, ARIJ
- Israeli brought wild pigs destroy tens of dunums in Deir Ballut plain 30, July, 2006, ARIJ
- Kfar Ad Dik and Deir Ballut in Salfit Governorate receive New Land confiscation Order 10, January, 2007, ARIJ
- Deir Ballut's fruitful olive trees cut for Wall Constructions 03, March, 2007, ARIJ
- New Military Orders to Halt Construction of Seven Palestinian Houses in the Village of Deir Ballut 01, October, 2007, ARIJ
- The Israeli Army to demolish an under-construction school in Deir Ballut Village 14, February, 2008, ARIJ
- New house demolition orders in Deir Ballut village 19, June, 2008, ARIJ
- Palestinian homes due to be demolished over 'lack of permits' pretext in Deir Ballut Village 22, September, 2010, ARIJ