Del Monte, California
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
Del Monte (also, Delmonte) is a formerly unincorporated community in Monterey County, California, now a part of the city of Monterey, California. It is located in the east part of Monterey, at an elevation of 16 feet (5 m).
The name came from the former luxury resort Hotel Del Monte (now the Naval Postgraduate School). Charles Crocker, one of California's big four railroad barons, established the resort through Southern Pacific Railroad's property division, Pacific Improvement Company. The first hotel was completed in 1880, with a nearby depot on Monterey Bay. The Del Monte included the hotel, parkland, polo grounds, and golf course. The property extended south and southeast of the hotel and included gardens, parkland, polo grounds, race track, and golf course. The Del Monte development also included a scenic drive from the hotel to another portion of the resort, Pebble Beach, on the Monterey Peninsula. A portion of that drive is preserved as 17-mile drive.
Del Monte is Spanish for "of the woods" or "in the woods".
At the county level, the area that was once called Del Monte is represented on the Monterey County Board of Supervisors by Supervisor Dave Potter . In the California State Assembly, the Del Monte area is represented by Bill Monning as part of the 27th Assembly district. In the State Senate, the Del Monte area is represented by Sam Blakeslee as part of the 15th State Senate district. In the U.S. House of Representatives, the Del Monte area is part of California's 17th congressional district, represented by Sam Farr.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Del Monte, California
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 891. ISBN 9781884995149.
- Gudde, Erwin G. (1969). California Place Names. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. pp. 208–209. Retrieved April 2014.
- "Monterey County Supervisorial District 5 Map (North District 5)". County of Monterey. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Bill Monning - Biography". Bill Monning, California State Assemblyman, 27th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "District Map". Sam Blakeslee, California State Senator, 15th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "The 17th District: About the 17th District of California". Sam Farr, United States Congressman, California's 17th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
|This Monterey County, California-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|