Del Monte, California
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
Del Monte (also, Delmonte) is a formerly unincorporated community in Monterey County, California, now a part of Monterey, California. It is located in the east part of Monterey Monterey, at an elevation of 16 feet (5 m). and refers to the grounds of the luxury resort Hotel Del Monte (now the Naval Postgraduate School), named by Charles Crocker, one of the California's big four railroad barons. Crocker established the resort through Southern Pacific Railroad's property division, Pacific Improvement Company, with the first hotel completed in 1880 with a nearby depot along Monterey Bay. The Del Monte included the hotel, parkland, polo grounds, and golf course. The property extended south and southeast of the hotel and included gardens, parkland, polo grounds, race track, and golf course. The Del Monte also included the seventeen mile drive from the hotel to another portion of the resort, Pebble Beach.
At the county level, the area that was once called Del Monte is represented on the Monterey County Board of Supervisors by Supervisor Dave Potter . In the California State Assembly, the Del Monte area is represented by Bill Monning as part of the 27th Assembly district. In the State Senate, the Del Monte area is represented by Sam Blakeslee as part of the 15th State Senate district. In the U.S. House of Representatives, the Del Monte area is part of California's 17th congressional district, represented by Sam Farr.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Del Monte, California
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 891. ISBN 9781884995149.
- "Monterey County Supervisorial District 5 Map (North District 5)". County of Monterey. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Bill Monning - Biography". Bill Monning, California State Assemblyman, 27th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "District Map". Sam Blakeslee, California State Senator, 15th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "The 17th District: About the 17th District of California". Sam Farr, United States Congressman, California's 17th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
|This Monterey County, California-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|