Delaware Route 37
|Maintained by DelDOT|
|Length:||3.11 mi (5.01 km)|
|Existed:||1985 – present|
|South end:||DE 273 near Christiana|
|DE 58 near New Castle Airport|
|North end:||US 202 / DE 141 near New Castle Airport|
Delaware Route 37 (DE 37) is a state highway in New Castle County, Delaware. The route runs from Delaware Route 273 near Christiana northeast to U.S. Route 202 and Delaware Route 141 near the New Castle Airport. The road runs through suburban neighborhoods before passing along the edge of New Castle Airport, where it provides access to business parks. The Airport Road portion of DE 37 was originally a dirt road that was paved by 1942. DE 37 was assigned to its current alignment by 1985.
DE 37 heads to the northeast from DE 273 on the two-lane, undivided Airport Road. It passes through suburban neighborhoods and then intersects DE 58 (Churchmans Road) in a commercial area. Past the DE 58 intersection, the route widens into a four-lane divided highway and forms the northwestern boundary of the New Castle Airport, with residential areas on the opposite side of the road. After the boundary with the airport, Airport Road splits to the northwest and DE 37 becomes Commons Boulevard, and it passes through the New Castle Corporate Commons, a business park located adjacent to the New Castle Airport. It continues northeast to its terminus at US 202 and DE 141.
DE 37 has an annual average daily traffic count ranging from a high of 22,752 vehicles at the US 202/DE 141 intersection to a low of 9,152 vehicles where it splits from Airport Road. None of DE 37 is part of the National Highway System.
By 1920, the Airport Road portion of DE 37 existed as a county road. This road was originally a dirt road that was paved by 1942. In 1985, the Commons Boulevard portion of the route was built and DE 37 was designated to run along its current alignment.
The entire route is in New Castle County.
|Christiana||0.00||0.00||DE 273 (Christiana Road) – New Castle, Christiana||Southern terminus|
|New Castle Airport||1.17||1.88||DE 58 (Churchmans Road)|
|3.11||5.01||US 202 / DE 141 (Basin Road)||Northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Staff (2011). "Traffic Count and Mileage Report: Interstate, Delaware, and US Routes" (PDF). Delaware Department of Transportation. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- Delaware Department of Transportation (2008) (PDF). Delaware Official Transportation Map (Map) (2008 ed.). http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/historic_highway_maps/pdf/cd_083.pdf. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – overview of Delaware Route 37 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=delaware+37+and+delaware+273&daddr=delaware+37+and+delaware+141&hl=en&geocode=Fe40XQIdU9d9-ynXVrZaSQHHiTEWxSlp4oJLZA%3BFXmtXQIdGXF--ylxvKI8NQLHiTFMesRKoGfIJw&mra=ls&sll=39.728985,-75.60773&sspn=0.028384,0.084543&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- Federal Highway Administration (2010) (PDF). National Highway System: Delaware (Map). http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nhs/maps/de/de_delaware.pdf. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- Delaware State Highway Department (1920) (PDF). Official Road Map (Map) (1920 ed.). http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/historic_highway_maps/pdf/cd_002.pdf. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Delaware State Highway Department (1936) (PDF). Official Road Map of the State of Delaware (Map). Cartography by The National Survey Co. (1936–37 ed.). http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/historic_highway_maps/pdf/cd_008.pdf. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Delaware State Highway Department (1942) (PDF). Official Road Map of the State of Delaware (Map) (1942 ed.). http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/historic_highway_maps/pdf/cd_014.pdf. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Delaware Department of Transportation (1985) (PDF). Official State Highway Map (Map) (1985 ed.). http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/historic_highway_maps/pdf/cd_060.pdf. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Media related to Delaware Route 37 at Wikimedia Commons