Delaware Route 58
|Maintained by DelDOT|
|Length:||3.86 mi (6.21 km)|
|West end:||DE 4 in Christiana|
| DE 1 / DE 7 in Christiana
I‑95 in Christiana
DE 37 near New Castle
|East end:||DE 273 near Hares Corner|
Delaware Route 58 (DE 58), also known as Churchmans Road, is a state highway in New Castle County, Delaware. The route runs from DE 4 adjacent to the Christiana Hospital in Christiana southeast to DE 273 near Hares Corner. The road passes through suburban areas between Wilmington and Newark, intersecting DE 1/DE 7 and Interstate 95 (I-95) in Christiana and DE 37 near the Wilmington-Philadelphia Regional Airport. Churchmans Road was originally a county road that was paved in the 1930s and realigned twice in the 1950s. DE 58 was designated onto it in the 1980s.
DE 58 begins at an intersection with DE 4 in Christiana, heading east on Churchmans Road, a four-lane divided highway. The road passes to the north of Christiana Hospital and runs through commercial development to an interchange with DE 1/DE 7. Just east of that interchange, DE 58 passes to the south of the Stanton Campus of Delaware Technical Community College. The route passes over I-95, where there is a ramp from I-95 southbound to DE 58 westbound. This is the only direct ramp between DE 58 and I-95, as all other access between the two routes must be made via DE 1/DE 7.
Past I-95, DE 58 becomes a two-lane undivdied road and heads to the southeast through residential areas, crossing the Christina River. The route curves south and passes commercial development, widening back into a four-lane divided highway and intersecting DE 37. Past the intersection with DE 37, DE 58 heads to the southeast as a two-lane undivided road and skirts the southwestern edge of Wilmington-Philadelphia Regional Airport. The route passes through light industrial development and continues to its terminus at DE 273 near Hares Corner.
DE 58 has an annual average daily traffic count ranging from a high of 26,570 vehicles at the DE 1/DE 7 interchange to a low of 10,257 vehicles at the DE 37 intersection. None of DE 58 is part of the National Highway System.
What is now DE 58 existed as a county road by 1920. The entire road was paved by 1936. By 1952, the current alignment of Churchmans Road was constructed around New Castle Airport, with a portion of the original road being removed. The current alignment of Churchmans Road west of DE 7 was built by 1954. DE 58 was designated onto its current alignment in 1985. In 1999, the intersection at DE 1/DE 7 was converted into an interchange.
Mileposts run from east to west. The entire route is in New Castle County.
|Christiana||3.86||6.21||DE 4 (Stanton Road)||Western terminus|
|3.03||4.88||DE 1 south / DE 7 to I‑95 – Stanton, Pike Creek, Christiana||Interchange|
|2.53||4.07||I‑95||Ramp from I-95 south to DE 58 west|
|1.14||1.83||DE 37 (Airport Road)|
|Hares Corner||0.00||0.00||DE 273 (Christiana Road)||Eastern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Staff (2011). "Traffic Count and Mileage Report: Interstate, Delaware, and US Routes" (PDF). Delaware Department of Transportation. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- Delaware Department of Transportation (2008) (PDF). Delaware Official Transportation Map (Map) (2008 ed.). http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/historic_highway_maps/pdf/cd_083.pdf. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Google Inc. "overview of Delaware Route 58". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=DE+4+and+DE+58&daddr=DE+58+and+DE+273&geocode=FResXQIdWGJ9-ykbIhIN_QDHiTGW-geWMpOLzg%3BFaY-XQId4UR--ynP3UgS5QPHiTEKI7uXgDWrOg&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=39.746805,-75.619275&sspn=0.030093,0.084543&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- Federal Highway Administration (2010) (PDF). National Highway System: Delaware (Map). http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nhs/maps/de/de_delaware.pdf. Retrieved February 10, 2012.
- Delaware State Highway Department (1920) (PDF). Official Road Map (Map) (1920 ed.). http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/historic_highway_maps/pdf/cd_002.pdf. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Delaware State Highway Department (1936) (PDF). Official Road Map of the State of Delaware (Map). Cartography by The National Survey Co. (1936–37 ed.). http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/historic_highway_maps/pdf/cd_008.pdf. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Delaware State Highway Department (1952) (PDF). Official Highway Map of Delaware (Map) (1952–53 ed.). http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/historic_highway_maps/pdf/cd_026.pdf. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Delaware State Highway Department (1954) (PDF). Official Highway Map of Delaware (Map) (1954–55 ed.). http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/historic_highway_maps/pdf/cd_028.pdf. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Delaware Department of Transportation (1985) (PDF). Official State Highway Map (Map) (1985 ed.). http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/historic_highway_maps/pdf/cd_060.pdf. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- "I-95 Corridor Projects". Delaware Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 10, 2012.
- Media related to Delaware Route 58 at Wikimedia Commons