|Elevation||51 m (167 ft)|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
|Irish Grid Reference||O274108|
Delgany (Irish: Deilgne, meaning "Thorny Place") is a village in County Wicklow on the R762 road between Greystones and the N11 road at the Glen of the Downs. It is about 25 km (16 mi) south of Dublin city centre.
It is a commuter village separated from the western edge of Greystones by the adjoining village of Killincarrig. There is a Church of Ireland parish church and the parish school Delgany National School and a Catholic Carmelite Convent in the village. Delgany is in the Roman Catholic parish of Kilquade and the parish church is located in Kilquade about 4 km (2.5 mi) south. The local Catholic school is St Laurence's which is located on Convent Road between Delgany and Greystones. The village is surrounded by wooded hills (including Kindlestown Wood ) and the Glen of the Downs.
Recently "The Old Burial Ground" has been restored and opened to the public. The 1-acre (4,000 m2) site is protected and contains the ruins of a 13th-century church, the stump of a 6th-century high cross and graves dating from the 18th century. (See thumbnails). In the 1990s, Delgany was the location for the recording of Tori Amos' third album Boys For Pele.
Born in Delgany:
- Harry Bradshaw, golfer.
- Eamonn Darcy, golfer.
- Francis Henry Medcalf, Mayor of Toronto (1864-66).
- James Whiteside lawyer-politician.
- Bruce Letts - Tauren Protection Paladin in the World of Warcraft guild Pandamonium based on Twisting Nether EU.
Residents of Delgany:
- Amy Bowtell - Professional Tennis Player
- Clement Robertson - VC recipient.
- Éamon de Buitléar - wildlife filmmaker and naturalist.
- John Nelson Darby - evangelical clergyman
Gallery of images
- Bellevue House - now demolished country house in Delgany
- "Census 2006 – Volume 1 – Population Classified by Area" (PDF). Central Statistics Office Census 2006 Reports. Central Statistics Office Ireland. April 2007. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Carmelite Monastery Delgany". Carmelitenunsdelgany.ie. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- "Coillte: Kindlestown". Coillte.ie. Archived from the original on 2008-06-20. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- "Delgany Golf Club, Co. Wicklow , Ireland". Delganygolfclub.com. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- "Glen of the Downs Golf Club". Glenofthedowns.com. Retrieved 2008-10-31.