|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2014)|
|Type||Naamloze vennootschap / Société anonyme|
|Traded as||Euronext: DELB, NYSE: DEG|
|Headquarters||Anderlecht, Brussels, Belgium|
|Number of locations||3,534 worldwide (2013)|
|Key people||Frans Muller (CEO), Mats Jansson (Chairman), Kevin Holt (CEO, Delhaize America)|
|Services||Supermarkets, hypermarkets, convenience stores, wholesale|
|Revenue||€21.1 billion (2013)|
|Total assets||€11.6 billion (end 2013)|
|Total equity||€5.076 billion (end 2013)|
Delhaize Group (French pronunciation: [dəlɛːz]) is a food retailer headquartered in Anderlecht, Brussels, Belgium which operates in seven countries and on three continents. The principal activity of Delhaize Group is the operation of food supermarkets.
Delhaize Group was founded near Charleroi, Belgium in 1867 by Jules Delhaize and his brothers Auguste, Edouard and Adolphe. He was helped in this endeavor by his future brother-in-law, Jules Vieujant. For their new company, they chose the lion, the symbol of strength, as their logo. They also chose a motto: unity is strength.
As of 31 December 2013, Delhaize Group had a sales network (which includes directly operated, franchised, and affiliated stores) of 3,534 stores and employed approximately 161,000 people. Store formats are primarily supermarkets, which represent 85% of Delhaize Group's sales network. Delhaize Group's sales network also includes other store formats such as neighborhood stores, convenience stores, and specialty stores. The company is actively engaged with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Energy Star program to manage energy efficiency across its U.S. facilities.
In addition to food retailing, Delhaize Group also engages in food wholesaling to stores in its sales network and in nonfood retailing of products such as pet products and health and beauty products.
In 2013, Delhaize Group recorded revenue of €21.1 billion and operating profit of €487 million. Delhaize Group's operations are located primarily in the United States (Food Lion LLC, Hannaford Brothers Company and Bottom Dollar Food) and Belgium. Other operations are located in Greece, Indonesia, Serbia, Luxembourg and Romania.
Delhaize entered the U.S. market through its acquisition of Food Town Stores in 1983, renaming it Food Lion and expanding from 22 stores to 226. In 1985, it opened its first Cub Foods store in Atlanta (although it did not own Cub Foods entirely), and in 1996 acquired Kash n' Karry a Florida grocery chain. Both its Cub Foods stores, and the Kash n' Karry chain have since been sold by Delhaize.
In 2007, the company left the Czech market after 16 years and sold all of its 97 supermarkets to Billa. In 2009, the company left the German market after 6 years and sold all of its 4 supermarkets to REWE Group. In 2011, Delhaize acquired Serbian retailer Delta Maxi.
The locations in Montenegro were sold in 2013.
The locations in Bosnia and Herzegovina were sold in 2014.
- Red Market
- AD Delhaize
- Proxy Delhaize
- Shop & Go
- Tom & Co.
- Proxy Delhaize
- Alfa-Beta Vassilopolous
- City AB
- AB Shop & Go
- AB Food Market
- Mini Maxi
- Shop & Go
Operates as Delhaize America, a wholly owned subsidiary of Delhaize Group:
- Super-Indo (51%)
- http://annualreport.delhaizegroup.com/?lang=en Company Annual Report
- "Contacts." Delhaize Group. Retrieved on 16 May 2012. "Square Marie Curie 40 1070 Brussels - Belgium"
- Dendooven, Pascal (5 July 2007). "De onversaagde kruideniers van Delhaize". De Standaard (in Dutch). Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Delhaize Company's Our History
- "Hannaford Supermarket First to Achieve LEED Platinum Rating". www.greenbiz.com. Greenbiz Group. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- BILLA ČR zdvojnásobí podíl na trhu, obrat, počet prodejen i zaměstnanců (BILLA ČR will double its market share, sales, number of supermarkets and employees) (Delvita press release, 1 June 2007)
- "Food Lion parent Delhaize buys Delta Maxi". Charlotte Business Journal. 27 July 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Tampa-based Sweetbay supermarkets sold Tampa Bay Times, May 28, 2013
- Delhaize Press Release - sale of MaxiMiniMaxi and Tempo stores
- Delhaize Press Release - sale of Bosnian-Herzegovinian stores
- "Mega Image to open nine new stores in August 2013". Retrieved 29 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Delhaize.|