|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2010)|
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2010)|
Each sandwich is prepared to order. The bread is toasted (toaster conveyor belt, similar to a pizza oven) prior to being prepared. Meat and cheese fillings are heated in several seconds using a quick-steamer (similar to the device used to steam buns for the Southern Style Chicken Sandwich and Filet-O-Fish). The Bacon & Egg roll and the Deluxe rolls are part of the breakfast menu.
Some stores in Australia are now baking their own rolls in their stores daily, as part of a new McCafe menu that involves baked biscuits. These baked rolls aren't toasted on a conveyor belt, but are kept in a warmer. Stores in Newcastle, NSW are currently trialing deli choices made on wraps, rolls are only available during breakfast; as of the 18th of February 2009, QLD has also changed over.
A similar sandwich called the McHero was on the menu in the early 90's, but was recently brought back annually starting in 2004 in franchises in the Cleveland/Akron metro area as the Cavaliers Triple Double. It was also offered there in the summer of 2002 as the Thome Triple in reference to then Cleveland Indians player Jim Thome. It was also marketed in the summer of 1995 in conjunction with the movie Batman Forever.
All healthier choice McDonalds deli-choice rolls had been discontinued by the firm in early 2009, with the remaining deli-choice breakfast roll cut from the menu in 2010. The former McDonalds breakfast wrap featuring bacon, egg, Swiss cheese and beef, has been replaced by a new variety of breakfast roll, on a bun, with the sausage replaced by a deep-fried potato-cake. The following healthier deli-choices, in Australia, no longer exist, nor have they been replaced with any similar options:
- Bacon and Egg.
- Chicken Tandoori.
- Turkey and Cranberry.
- Chicken Caesar.
- Deluxe Brekkie Roll
- Sweet Chilli Chicken (trial in Newcastle, NSW)
- Classic Ham (October 2004 - April 2006)
- Italian Supreme (October 2004 - April 2006)
- Veggie Presto (October 2004 - April 2006)
- Change of Roast Beef to Barbecue Roast Beef (October 2004 - April 2006)
- Barbecue Roast Beef (April 2006 - September 2007)
- Chicken Parmigiana
- Sweet Chilli Chicken roll.
- BLT roll (part of Australian Bacon promotion)
- Thai Chicken
Served on a choice of wholegrain or white rolls. Stores in ACT and NSW are currently trialling wraps instead of rolls. White rolls are only available during breakfast.
- Chicken Caesar - Crispy or grilled chicken with bacon and lettuce, topped with Caesar dressing.
- BLT/Turkey BLT - Smoked bacon, lettuce, and tomato with mayonnaise. Available with or without turkey.
- Oven Roasted Turkey - Oven roasted turkey, tomato, lettuce, and mayonnaise.
- Assorted Cold Cuts - Salami, ham, and pepperoni with lettuce, tomato, slivered onions, mustard, and mayonnaise.
- Philly Cheese Steak - Shaved, seasoned steak with green peppers and onions, topped with processed cheese sauce.
- Black Forest Ham & Swiss - Black forest ham and Swiss cheese with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise.(This sandwich was discontinued in some regions and replaced with the "Southwest Chicken"
- Southwest Chicken - Crispy or grilled chicken with lettuce, tomato, pepperjack cheese, and a spicy southwest sauce.
Currently, only the Southwest Chicken variety has been carried over, no longer served in a hoagie bun, but in a square ciabatta bun. In addition, the Chicken Classic sandwich has also been transferred over to this variety of buns. The Turkey BLT variety was originally on the Ciabatta menu as well, but has been discontinued.
- Chicken Tandoori Crispy
- Chicken Tandoori Seared
- Chicken Caesar Crispy
- Chicken Caesar Seared
- Sweet Chilli Chicken Crispy
- Sweet Chilli Chicken Seared
- BLT (Bacon Lettuce Tomato)
- Vege (New Build - Cold salad ingredients)
- Chicken Parmagiana
- Chicken Classic
- Beef n' BBQ
- Vege (Old Build - Heated vegetables and Swiss cheese)
Currently branded as "Toasted Deli Sandwiches or Wraps"
- Sweet Chilli Crispy Chicken
- Spicy Vegetable
- Grilled Chicken Salad
- Crispy Chicken and Bacon
All delis are served on a best of both roll, replacing the previous white and brown. Wrap or bread can be chosen.
Wraps were launched in June 2011 as part of the 'Deli Choices' range and are currently being promoted nationwide.
- McHero - Mayonnaise, shredded lettuce, tomato, onions, pepper jack and American cheeses with three pieces of meat.