Deliver Us from Evil (2006 film)
|Deliver Us from Evil|
|Directed by||Amy J. Berg|
|Produced by||Amy J. Berg
|Written by||Amy J. Berg|
|Starring||Thomas P. Doyle
Ann Marie Jyono
Mr and Mrs Bob Jyono
Adam and Becky M
Dr. Mary Gail Frawley-O'Dea
|Music by||Joseph Arthur
|Editing by||Matthew Cooke|
|Running time||101 minutes|
Deliver Us from Evil is a 2006 American documentary film directed by Amy J. Berg which tells the true story of Catholic priest Oliver O'Grady, who admitted to having molested and raped approximately 25 children in Northern California between the late 1970s and early 1990s. The film won the Best Documentary Award at the 2006 Los Angeles Film Festival and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature, losing to An Inconvenient Truth. The title refers to a line in the Lord's Prayer.
The film chronicles O'Grady's years as a priest in Northern California, where he committed his crimes. After being convicted of child molestation and serving seven years in prison, O'Grady was deported to his native Ireland, where Berg interviewed him in 2005. Additionally, the film presents trial documents, videotaped depositions, and interviews with activists, theologians, psychologists, and lawyers which suggest that not only were Church officials aware of O'Grady's crimes, they actively took steps to conceal them.
After the documentary was shown on Dutch national TV in April 2010, members of a parish in Schiedam recognized O'Grady as an active volunteer in the parish until January 2010. His background was unknown to the parishioners. Apart from that he was active in the Netherlands as an organizer of children's parties.
- Catholic sex abuse cases
- Roger Mahony#Sexual abuse cases
- Twist of Faith (2005), an HBO documentary film about abuse in the Catholic Church
- Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God (2012), another HBO documentary
- Sex Crimes and the Vatican, a 2006 BBC documentary
- What the Pope Knew, 2010 Panorama (BBC) episode
- Red Hot Catholic Love, a 2002 South Park episode about Catholic sex scandal
- Guccione, Jean (2005-05-11). "A Glimpse at the Mind of a Pedophile". Los Angeles Times.
- "NY Times: Deliver Us from Evil". NY Times. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- Desson Thomson (2006-11-10). "An Unassuming Face of 'Evil'". Washington Post.
- Stein, Ruthe (2006-10-27). "The bitter wake of a pedophile protected by the church". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Hickey, Walshe. "Uproar as school footage used in film on pedophile". Retrieved 2006-10-13.
- "Deliver Us From Evil".
- "Rotten Tomatoes' Best Movies of All Time".
- Official website
- Deliver Us from Evil at the Internet Movie Database
- Deliver Us from Evil at AllMovie
- Deliver Us from Evil at Box Office Mojo
- Deliver Us from Evil at Rotten Tomatoes
- Deliver Us from Evil at Metacritic
- Deliver us from evil at documentaries.im
- Interview with director Amy Berg - /Film