Deliver Us from Evil (2014 film)
|Deliver Us from Evil|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Scott Derrickson|
|Produced by||Jerry Bruckheimer|
|Screenplay by||Scott Derrickson
Paul Harris Boardman
|Based on||Beware the Night
by Ralph Sarchie
Lisa Collier Cool
|Music by||Christopher Young|
|Edited by||Jason Hellmann|
|Jerry Bruckheimer Films|
|Distributed by||Screen Gems|
|Running time||118 minutes|
Deliver Us from Evil is a 2014 American crime-horror film directed by Scott Derrickson, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, and co-written with Paul Harris Boardman, based on a 2001 non-fiction book entitled Beware the Night by Ralph Sarchie and Lisa Collier Cool. Starring Eric Bana, Édgar Ramírez, Sean Harris, Olivia Munn, and Joel McHale, the film was released on July 2, 2014.
|This section requires expansion. (July 2014)|
The movie is based on the real life events of Ralph Sarchie, a New York cop who meets a Castilian priest when he is pulled into a case which the priest convinces him, against the officer's religious beliefs, is demonically related. Together, they work to solve the case and combat paranormal forces working against them. With help from the priest, Ralph puts down the demon (through exorcism) that has possessed the last man left of the group of people that were possessed. Next scene is seven months later. Ralph and his family and friends have gathered for Ralph's newborn child's christening—performed by the same priest who helped Ralph. It is made know that Ralph quits the police force and begins working with the priest against evil.
- Eric Bana as Ralph Sarchie, a New York City street cop with a New Jersey accent who has put his faith in religion behind him, only to find himself entangled with the devil.
- Édgar Ramírez as Mendoza, the Spanish (Castilian) priest who teams with Ralph.
- Olivia Munn as Jen Sarchie, Ralph’s wife, who also has a tie to the case.
- Sean Harris as Santino, a soldier possessed by the devil, who ends up targeting Ralph.
- Joel McHale as Butler, Ralph’s partner, a tough, experienced cop.
- Chris Coy as Jimmy Tratner
- Dorian Missick as Gordon
- Rhona Fox as Zookeeper
- Valentina Rendón as Claudia
- Olivia Horton as Jane Crenna
- Mari-Ange Ramirez
On September 4, 2012, director Scott Derrickson signed on to direct a paranormal cop thriller film he co-wrote with Paul Harris Boardman, with Screen Gems producing. On November 12, Jerry Bruckheimer signed on to produce the film with his Jerry Bruckheimer Films production company, which had begun developing a treatment of the Sarchie book years earlier. David Ayer, Bryan Bertino and Bruce C. McKenna also worked on the screenplay before Bruckheimer went back to Derrickson. Screen Gems set a January 16, 2015, release date and announced it would start filming on May 20, in The Bronx, New York City. On November 13, 2013, Sony Pictures changed the release date from January 2015 to July 2, 2014. On December 7, the film was retitled from Beware the Night to Deliver Us from Evil.
Initially, Mark Wahlberg was set to star. On November 9, 2012 The Wrap posted that Eric Bana was in talks to join the film, playing the lead role as a New York cop. On April 9, 2013 Bana confirmed his role in the film as a Catholic cop, and Olivia Munn and Édgar Ramírez were set to co-star as the cop's wife and a priest respectively. On May 28, 2013 Joel McHale and Sean Harris also joined the film; McHale played Bana's partner, a tough and experienced cop. Dorian Missick joined cast on June 5 to play the role of the cop Gordon. Other cast members include Chris Coy, Rhona Fox, and Valentina Rendón.
Principal photography began on June 3, 2013 in New York City. After wrapping up filming in New York in the end of July, production moved to Abu Dhabi at the start of August 2013. Production filmed scenes at the Liwa Oasis desert in Abu Dhabi. According to Empire State Development Corporation, Deliver Us from Evil spent more than $19 million in New York state over the course of its 34-day shoot in New York City and on Long Island. The production paid $7 million to New York residents, hiring some 700 cast and crew as well as more than 400 extras.
On December 23, 2013, the first photo from the film was released. The film's first trailer was released on YouTube on March 7, 2014, followed by another international trailer on April 10. On May 14 another trailer was released.
|This section requires expansion. (July 2014)|
The film was released on July 2, 2014 in 3,049 locations in the United States.
The film received mixed to negative reviews from critics. The film currently holds a 30% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 77 reviews; the general consensus states: "Director Scott Derrickson continues to have a reliably firm grasp on creepy atmosphere, but Deliver Us from Evil's lack of original scares is reflected in its shopworn title." On Metacritic, the film has a 40/100 rating, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Deliver Us from Evil earned $2.8 million on its opening day. In its opening weekend the film earned $9,500,000, ranking at number four at the box office in the United States.
- "DELIVER US FROM EVIL (15)". Columbia Pictures. British Board of Film Classification. June 3, 2014. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Deliver Us From Evil (2014)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb.
- Foreman, Liza (4 September 2013). "Scott Derrickson Signs On to Direct ‘Beware the Night’". thewrap.com. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Pictures, Sony (13 November 2013). "Sony Pictures Moves Sex Tape and Beware the Night". comingsoon.net. Retrieved December 28, 2013.
- Foreman, Liza (November 9, 2012). "Eric Bana in talks for Paranormal Police Thriller ‘Beware the Night’". thewrap.com. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (9 April 2013). "Screen Gems Sets Eric Bana, Edgar Ramirez And Olivia Munn For Exorcism Pic ‘Beware The Night’". deadline.com. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "Joel McHale Joining Eric Bana in 'Beware the Night'". hollywoodreporter.com. May 28, 2013. Retrieved December 28, 2013.
- "Casting News for Scott Derrickson’s Beware the Night". wn.com. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- A. Obenson, Tambay (June 5, 2013). "Dorian Missick Lands Role In Jerry Bruckheimer-Produced Thriller 'Beware The Night'". indiewire.com. Retrieved December 28, 2013.
- Sneider, Jeff (November 12, 2012). "Bruckheimer to produce ‘Beware the Night’". variety.com. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- Creepy, Uncle (April 30, 2013). "Beware the Night in a Couple of Years". dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Turek, Ryan (December 7, 2013). "Eric Bana on His Beware the Night Experience, Film Gets Title Change". shocktillyoudrop.com. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "‘Beware The Night’, starring Eric Bana & Joel McHale, begins filming in NYC". onlocationvacations.com. June 4, 2013. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "Beware the Night production moves from NYC to Abu Dhabi". onlocationvacations.com. 9 August 2013. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "Hollywood ‘Top Gun’ producer shoots movie in Abu Dhabi". arabianbusiness.com. August 5, 2013. Retrieved December 28, 2013.
- "On the set of Eric Bana film Beware The Night in Abu Dhabi". gulfnews.com. August 4, 2013. Retrieved December 28, 2013.
- "Screen Gems shoots Jerry Bruckheimer film Beware the Night in Abu Dhabi". thelocationguide.com. August 6, 2013. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Cox, Gordon (July 2, 2014). "‘Deliver Us From Evil’ Delivered $19 Million in Spending to New York State". variety.com. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- Turek, Ryan (December 23, 2013). "Exclusive Photo from Scott Derrickson’s Deliver Us From Evil". shocktillyoudrop.com. Retrieved December 28, 2013.
- "Deliver Us from Evil Official Trailer #1 (2014) - Eric Bana, Olivia Munn Horror HD". YouTube. March 7, 2014. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (March 7, 2014). "Eric Bana Investigates the Supernatural in First Trailer for ‘Deliver Us From Evil’". thewrap.com. Retrieved March 8, 2014.
- Anderton, Ethan (10 April 2014). "International 'Deliver Us from Evil' Trailer Brings Some More Horror". firstshowing.net. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- Anderton, Ethan (May 14, 2014). "Eric Bana Arrests the Possessed in New 'Deliver Us from Evil' Trailer". firstshowing.net. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- Subers, Ray (July 2, 2014). "Forecast: 'Transformers' to Take Out 'Tammy' Over July 4th Weekend". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- "Deliver Us from Evil (2014) Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- Deliver Us from Evil at the Internet Movie Database
- Deliver Us from Evil at Box Office Mojo
- Deliver Us from Evil at Rotten Tomatoes
- Deliver Us from Evil at Metacritic
- Deliver Us from Evil at History vs. Hollywood