Dell Rapids, South Dakota
|Dell Rapids, South Dakota|
Location in Minnehaha County and the state of South Dakota
|• Total||2.09 sq mi (5.41 km2)|
|• Land||2.03 sq mi (5.26 km2)|
|• Water||0.06 sq mi (0.16 km2)|
|Elevation||1,509 ft (460 m)|
|• Estimate (2013)||3,728|
|• Density||1,789.7/sq mi (691.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1265635|
|Website||City of Dell Rapids|
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,633 people, 1,388 households, and 973 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,789.7 inhabitants per square mile (691.0 /km2). There were 1,495 housing units at an average density of 736.5 per square mile (284.4 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 98.0% White, 0.1% African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 0.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.4% of the population.
There were 1,388 households of which 38.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 29.9% were non-families. 25.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.10.
The median age in the city was 34.8 years. 28.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.6% were from 25 to 44; 21.7% were from 45 to 64; and 15% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.7% male and 51.3% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,980 people, 1,127 households, and 793 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,519.9 people per square mile (587.0/km²). There were 1,181 housing units at an average density of 602.3 per square mile (232.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.69% White, 0.13% African American, 0.47% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 0.07% from other races, and 0.44% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.64% of the population.
There were 1,127 households out of which 36.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.5% were married couples living together, 7.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.6% were non-families. 26.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.4% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 19.4% from 45 to 64, and 18.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 91.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.3 males.
As of 2000 the median income for a household in the city was $42,572, and the median income for a family was $49,536. Males had a median income of $31,867 versus $24,333 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,731. About 1.9% of families and 4.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.3% of those under age 18 and 12.7% of those age 65 or over.
Dell Rapids is home to two separate school systems: The Dell Rapids public school system and St. Mary, a private Catholic school.
The public school system includes Dell Rapids High School, a middle school, and elementary as well as "Strive High", an alternative secondary-education institution. The mascot of the public school district is the "Quarriers", named after the large rose quartz rock quarry that is also in Dell Rapids. St. Mary's school also includes St. Mary High School, a middle school, and elementary school. The mascot of the St. Mary school district is the "Cardinals".
- Daniel Ahlers, member of the South Dakota House of Representatives
- Dennis Daugaard, Current Governor of South Dakota
- William E. Merry, member of the South Dakota House of Representatives
- Thompson (ed.), p. 167.
- "SD Towns". South Dakota State Historical Society. Retrieved 2010-02-11.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2014-07-20.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- DeLorme (2001). South Dakota Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. ISBN 0-89933-330-3
- United States Census Bureau. "Census of Population and Housing". Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Thompson, Harry F. (ed.) (2009). A New South Dakota History (Second ed.). Sioux Falls, SD: Center for Western Studies - Augustana College. ISBN 978-0-931170-00-3.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dell Rapids, South Dakota.|