|Industry||Managed Security Service|
|Fate||Acquired by Dell|
|Defunct||February 7, 2011|
|Headquarters||Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.|
|Area served||North America
|Key people||Michael R. Cote (Vice President and General Manager)
Barry Hensley (Executive Director, Counter Threat Unit)
Dan DeRosa (Director, Product Management)
Doug Steelman (Chief Information Security Officer)
Network IPS with iSensor
Next Generation Firewall
Web App Firewall
Web App Scanning
Web Security Services
SecureWorks Inc. is a United States-based Dell Inc. subsidiary that provides information security services, protecting its customers' computers, networks and information assets from malicious activity such as cybercrime. The company has thousands of customers, ranging from Fortune 100 companies to mid-sized businesses in a variety of industries. It became part of Dell in February 2011.
SecureWorks was founded as a privately held company in 1998 by Michael Pearson and Joan Wilbanks. In 2002 Michael R. Cote became President and CEO. In 2005, and again in 2006, the company was named to the Inc. 500 and Inc. 5000 lists (2005, 2006) and Deloitte’s Fast 500.
In 2006, SecureWorks merged with LURHQ Corporation and the new entity continued under the SecureWorks corporate name. LURHQ, which was founded in 1996 in Myrtle Beach, SC and provided managed security services to large enterprises, had similar company cultures and leadership to SecureWorks. According to Gartner, the merger created a stronger company. With the merger, SecureWorks was able to leverage Sherlock, LURHQ's portal, to unify its combined customer base onto a single integrated security management platform.
In 2009, SecureWorks acquired the Managed Security Services (MSS) business from VeriSign, Inc., a trusted provider of Internet infrastructure services for the networked world, and grew to more than 500 employees worldwide. The acquisition expanded its clients to approximately 2,600 in more than 50 countries, including the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Finland, Spain, Brazil and Mexico. This includes four of the Fortune 10. Also in 2009, SecureWorks acquired the then 10-year-old dns Limited. This acquisition expanded SecureWorks' operation to include a UK-based operations center and additional offices in London and Edinburgh.
- "SecureWorks, Inc., Atlanta, GA United States". Hoovers. Hoover's, Inc. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- "No. 79 – SecureWorks". Inc. Magazine (Mansueto Ventures LLC). 2005. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- "Inc. 500 Security Firm Wins Innovation Prize". Inc. Magazine (Mansueto Ventures LLC). 5 March 2007. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- "SecureWorks Ranks Third Among Georgia's Fastest Growing Technology Companies in Deloitte's Technology Fast 50 Program". redOrbit (Atlanta, Georgia). 7 October 2005. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- Kavanagh, Kelly M. (18 March 2011). "SecureWorks/LURHQ Merger Creates a Stronger MSSP Player". Gartner Research. Gartner Inc. Retrieved 25 September 2006.
- "SecureWorks Closes Acquisition of VeriSign's Managed Security Services Business". VeriSign News. 7 July 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- WebsiteGear.com, 2009
- Frink, David (18 March 2011). "Dell To Acquire Secureworks". Dell Financial News (Round Rock, Texas: Dell, Inc). Retrieved 4 January 2011.