|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)|
|Origin||San Diego, California, United States|
|Genres||Indie rock, Americana, soul|
(outside North America)
Dew Process (Australia)
Delta Spirit is an American indie rock band from San Diego/Long Beach/Orange County California. They previously lived in Brooklyn, New York but recently moved to Texas. Delta Spirit is most known for their intense live performances, their congregational song writing, and their driving rhythms. The group consists of Jonathan Jameson (bass/bg vocals), Brandon Young (drums/percussion), Matthew Vasquez (vocals/guitars), Kelly Winrich (multi-instrumentalist/bg vocals), and William McLaren (guitar/bg vocals)
The band released their fourth full-length album, Into the Wide, on 9 September 2014.
In 2005, Jameson and Young, who had played with each other in many bands, decided to form a band with their new friend Sean Walker. Young first spotted Vasquez busking on a bench at two in the morning, and the two exchanged information. Delta Spirit recorded their I Think I've Found It EP at Winrich's home studio, and he joined the band within the first year. Winrich and Vasquez had been close friends since they were 18 years old. The EP was later be released by Monarchy Music on CD and 12" VInyl in 2006.
The band produced and recorded their debut full-length album, Ode to Sunshine, in a cabin in the San Diego mountains (near Julian, CA) and released it independently in late 2007. The album featured the song "Trashcan" which was named after the unusual use of a trashcan as an instrument during recording. Ode to Sunshine was re-released with new artwork (featuring Winrich's great-uncle Dr. Thomas Payne on the cover) and a new version of the song "Streetwalker" on August 26, 2008, by Rounder Records. The band has made numerous television appearances, including Late Night with Conan O'Brien in late 2008 and Last Call with Carson Daly on the March 12, 2009, episode.
Walker left the band in the fall of 2009. Their second album, History From Below, was released on June 8, 2010. The album's title was inspired by the historian and author Howard Zinn. Many of the songs were composed on an acoustic guitar in hotel rooms as the band toured 293 dates in 2009. On November 15, 2010, Delta Spirit performed a live set for "Guitar Center Sessions" on DirecTV. The episode included an interview with program host, Nic Harcourt. In 2010-2011 the Band also performed on Kimmel, Carson, and Jools Holland. That same year Delta Spirit did 2 US tours and one European Tour. In 2011 William McLaren became a full member of Delta Spirit. McLaren formerly played in The Willowz and Cults. In April 2011, Delta Spirit played in the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, California. In the Summer of 2011 they rented a southern California rehearsal studio used by Cold War Kids and Murder City Devils in order to write what would become their third record, "Delta Spirit". In July they traveled to Woodstock, NY to refine and record that material. In the fall of 2011 Delta Spirit opened for My Morning Jacket. On March 13, 2012 they released their third studio album, self-titled Delta Spirit, recorded with producer Chris Coady. On August 4, 2012, the band performed at Lollapalooza in Chicago, IL. In 2013 the band is based in Brooklyn, New York.
The Delta Spirit song "Devil Knows You're Dead" was used in the final scene of the 5th and final season of Friday Night Lights. The song "People, Turn Around", was also used in the final scene of the Season 2 Sons of Anarchy episode "Potlatch". Their song "Salt in the Wound" from their 2008 album History from Below appeared in the Grey's Anatomy episode "With You I'm Born Again". The song "9/11" was used in the final scene of the Season 2 My Life As Liz episode 5. The song "People C'mon" was used in The Big C episode "Blue Eyed Iris" and in UFC Primetime: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos. The song "Running" is featured on "The Walking Dead" Original Soundtrack - Vol. 1  The song "Yamaha" was used in the 2013 movie "Warm Bodies." The song "California" was used in American Dad! season 10 episode 06.
- Matthew Vasquez - lead vocals, guitar, harmonica, piano, drums (2005-present)
- Kelly Winrich - piano, organ, synthesizer, guitar, drums, electronic drum pad, vocals (2005-present)
- William McLaren - guitar, vocals (2011-present)
- Jonathan Jameson - bass, drums, vocals (2005-present)
- Brandon Young - drums (2005-present)
- I Think I've Found It EP (2006)
- Ode to Sunshine (2008)
- History from Below (2010) U.S. No. 174
- Waits Room EP (2010)
- Delta Spirit (2012) No. 103 U.S. Billboard 200, No. 1 Heatseekers Albums
- Into the Wide (2014)
- ""From Now On" (2014)
- "NPR Interview with Delta Spirit". NPR Music. NPR.
- Needles, Tim. "Interview with Delta Spirit’s Kelly Winrich". Short and Sweet NYC. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- Guitar Center Sessions with host Nic Harcourt Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- With You I'm Born Again (Grey's Anatomy episode) (2010) at the Internet Movie Database
- Wyeth, Wyndham (13 March 2012). "Delta Spirit: Delta Spirit". Paste Magazine. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- Hermes, Will (9 March 2012). "Delta Spirit: Delta Spirit". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Future Releases on Alternative Radio Stations". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 2014-07-19.