|Nickname(s): The Big Heart|
Location of Delta State in Nigeria
|Date created||27 August 1991|
| • Governor
|Emmanuel Uduaghan (PDP)|
|• Total||17,698 km2 (6,833 sq mi)|
|Area rank||23rd of 36|
|Population (1991 census)|
|• Estimate (2005)||6,710,214|
|• Rank||9th of 36|
|• Density||150/km2 (380/sq mi)|
|• Total||$16.75 billion|
|• Per capita||$3,990|
|Time zone||WAT (UTC+01)|
|ISO 3166 code||NG-DE|
Delta State is a state in Nigeria, comprising distinct Igbo subgroups of Enuani, Ukwani, Ndokwa and Ika, collectively referred to as Anioma, and the Delta people made up of the Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ijaw and Isoko ethnic groups. The ethnic groups are grouped into three senatorial districts, namely Delta North, Delta South and Delta Central, for administrative purposes.
Delta is an oil and agricultural producing state of Nigeria, situated in the region known as the Delta state, South-South geo-political zone with a population of 4,098,291 (males: 2,674,306; females: 2,024,085). Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the current Federal Minister of Finance and Coordinating of Economy and former World Bank Managing Director, is from the state. The capital city is Asaba, located at the northern end of the state, with an estimated area of 762 square kilometres (294 sq mi), while Ogwashi-Uku has the biggest land space for any industry, Warri is the economic nerve of the state and also the most populated located in the southern end of the state. The state has a total land area of 16,842 square kilometres (6,503 sq mi).
The State presently covers a landmass of about 18,050 Km2 of which more than 60% is land. The State lies approximately between Longitude 5°00 and 6°.45' East and Latitude 5°00 and 6°.30' North. It is bounded in the North by Edo State, the East by Anambra State, South-East by Bayelsa State, and on the Southern flank is the Bight of Benin which covers about 160kilometres of the State's coastline. Delta State is generally low-lying without remarkable hills. The State has a wide coastal belt inter-lace with rivulets and streams, which form part of the Niger-Delta.
Delta State was carved out of the former Bendel State on August 27, 1991 . The state was created following agitations for the creation of separate distinct states by the Urhobos and Anioma regions. The then Military President, Gen Ibrahim Babangida (Rtd) created the state using the name "Delta" advanced by Niger Delta region as "Asaba" another name advanced by the people of Anioma for the capital of the proposed "Anioma state." Delta state was once integrated in the Mid Western state from 1963 to 1976 and later Bendel state, from 1976 to 1991. The name "Bendel" (Ben-Del) coined from the old Benin and Delta Provinces of Western Region-Delta to reflect the integration of Benin and Delta provinces.
Delta State is ethnically diverse with peoples and numerous languages spoken in the state. The State is dividing into 2 main groups based on historical relations, culture and language. The first group is the Igbo subgroup of Delta North Senatorial district sometimes collectively referred to as Anioma.This group has a historical affiliation with the igbos of eastern Nigeria,although some parts of it are more Igbo than others. For instance the Oshimili due to its nexus to the river Niger is linguistically and culturally more Igbo than Ika which has been heavily influenced by the Benin kingdom. The second group comprising Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ijaw and Isoko ethnic groups are collectively referred to as the delta people. These ethnic groups occupy the Central and South Senatorial districts of the state. They speak different languages but have a loosely related culture as they traded and intermarried for centuries before colonization. Most inhabitants of the state practice Christianity and very few traditional faiths.
Emmanuel Uduaghan, a member of the People's Democratic Party, was elected Governor and chief executive of Delta State in April 2007 and removed due to irregularities in the election process on the 9th of November 2010 from a court ruling. Uduaghan was re-elected in April 2011. Rosaline Bozimo was appointed Chief Justice in April 2003. The State has three National Senatorial districts (South, North and Central). In 2011 and 2013the elected senators were James Manager, Arthur Okowa Ifeanyi and Emmanuel Aguariavwodo who replaced Pius Ewherido who died last year at National Hospital, Abuja.
|Delta Central Senatorial District||1,575,738||Delta North Senatorial District||1,229,074||Delta South Senatorial District||1,293,282|
|Ethiope East||200,792||Aniocha North||104,711||Bomadi||86,644|
|Ethiope West||203,592||Aniocha South||140,604||Burutu||209,666|
|Okpe||130,029||Ika North East||183,657||Isoko North||144,155|
|Sapele||171,888||Ika South||162,594||Isoko South||227,712|
|Ughelli North||321,028||Ndokwa West||149,325||Warri North||137,300|
|Ughelli South||213,576||Oshimili North||115,316||Warri South||303,417|
|Uvwie||191,472||Oshimili South||149,306||Warri South West||116,681|
There are various solid mineral deposits within state - industrial clay, silica, lignite, kaolin, tar sand, decorative rocks, limestone, etc. These are raw materials for industries such as brick making, ceramics, bottle manufacturing, glass manufacturing, chemical/insulators production, chalk manufacturing and sanitary wares, decorative stone cutting and quarrying.
- Federal University of Petroleum Resource, Effurun
- Delta State University (Abraka Campus,Oleh Campus,Asaba Campus)
- Ogwashi-Uku Polytechnic in Ogwashi-Uku
- Otefe oghara Polytechnic
- Ozoro Polytechnic
- College of Education(Agbor Campus, Warri Campus)
- Federal College of Education Technical, Asaba
- College of Physical Education, Mosogar
- College of Health Technology, Ughelli
- Petroleum Training Institution, Effurun
- Western Delta University, Oghara
- Novena University,Amai
- John Obayuwana
- Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
- Ngozi Olejeme (Chairman, Nigerian Social Insurance Trust-fund), Chairman Board of Directors Trustfund pensions P.L.C. Member and convener, Subsidy re-investment empowerment program
- The Ologeh Family
- Bruce Onobrakpeya, 2006 UNESCO LIVING HUMAN TREASURE AWARD, Trustee of Western Niger Delta University
- Prince Demas Nwoko, Inventor, Philosopher and Distinguished design artist
- Olorogun Michael Ibru, Business Leader
- Deacon Gamaliel Onosode
- The Anumonwo Family
- Prof John Pepper Clark, first Professor of English in Africa, poet and writer
- Ben Okri, writer
- Tanure Ojaide, Internationally acclaimed writer
- Godini Darah, President Nigerian Folklore Society
- Senator Pius Akpor Ewherido, Senator that represented the eight Local Government Areas of the Urhobo People in Federal Senate till he died June 2013
- Odiete Diariarijere of Eghwu, a notable social democrat who provided the first Primary School, the Postal Agency, and Tap Water for his people
- omughelli vincent omochoja, motivational speaker
Delta State is known to have produced several sportsmen and women of great stature, many of whom have captained the national football teams of the nation at different times notably Stephen Okechukwu Keshi, Sunday Oliseh, Austin Jay Jay Okocha, Wilson Oruma,Duke udi, Efetobore Sodje, Jonathan Akpoborie,Nduka Ugbade, Peter Nnalue etc. Team Delta are the current winners of the National Sports Festival tagged "KADA 2009" held in Kaduna State, Nigeria with 108 Gold and a number of Silver and Bronze medals.
- "C-GIDD (Canback Global Income Distribution Database)". Canback Dangel. Retrieved 2008-08-20.
- Federal Republic of Nigeria, Official gazette, No. 24, vol. 94, 2007
- "THE EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR". Delta State Government. Retrieved 2009-12-29.
- "Nigerian Observer Online Edition". Nigerian Observer. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "The Chief Justice". Delta State Government. Retrieved 2010-02-23.
- 2006 Population Census, Federal Republic of Nigeria, National Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original on 2009-03-25.