Dematic is a material handling and logistics automation company based in Luxembourg. It has production and management sites in Europe, China, Australia and the USA and is represented in 35 countries on all continents. With an installed base of over 5,000 systems, the company has around 4,000 employees worldwide and generates a global business volume of approx. 1 billion Euros.
Dematic Group S.à r.l. based in Luxembourg was recently formed, yet the company has a long tradition. It began in 1819 in Wetter (Ruhr) / Germany with the founding of Demag, which was incorporated in 1973 by Mannesmann. After the acquisition of U.S. Rapistan (specialized in conveyor systems), Mannesmann DEMAG Fördertechnik AG was established. In 1993, Australian racking and shelving manufacturer Colby was added, and in 1997 the company was renamed to Mannesmann Dematic AG. Four years later, Siemens bought the company and merged it with its own logistics activities to form Siemens Dematic AG. In 2006 Siemens carved out the industrial and distribution logistics portion as Dematic GmbH & Co. KG. In the same year, the investment firm Triton acquired the majority of shares.
On September 15, 2010, Dematic Group successfully completed the acquisition of HK Systems, a North American automated material handling and software solutions provider. The expanded manufacturing footprint allows Dematic to manufacture within the USA storage and retrieval machines and automated guided vehicles in addition to conveyor, sortation and order fulfillment technology.
On December 28, 2012, AEA Investors LP ("AEA") and Teachers' Private Capital ("TPC"), the private investment division of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, completed their acquisition of Dematic from private equity firm Triton.
Dematic designs, builds, and life cycle supports logistics solutions to optimize material and information flow—from receiving to shipping, within the four walls of the factory, warehouse, or distribution center. Typical solutions are built around process improvements, material handling technology, and software. System configurations may be manually operated, mechanized or automated.
Dematic’s range of business covers the food and beverage industry, general retail, wholesale, manufacturing, food service, apparel retail, direct distribution, the 3PL industry (Third Party Logistics), and document and collections storage and management (integrated or automated library systems).
Products and Services
The company designs and manufactures individual products and material handling equipment such as automated storage and retrieval systems (AS/RS) and different types of conveyors, sortation systems and order picking systems. The company's product offering is complemented by consultative, planning and design services that integrate the different hardware and software components into total logistics solutions. In addition, the company provides software and IT solutions like warehouse management systems and systems that support material flow and paperless order picking operations. Dematic also offers a full range of customer services such as the technical operation of facilities and their maintenance.
- The Gale Group, International Directory of Company Histories. "Mannesmann AG". Answers.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Official Colby website
- "Commission gives Siemens conditional go-ahead to take control of Mannesmann subsidiaries Dematic, VDO and Sachs.". European Union. 29 August 2000. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "Triton takes over Dematic". Siemens AG, Official Press Release. June 14, 2006. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "AEA Investors and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan complete acquisition of Dematic". Dematic, Official Press Release. January 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Robots find books at new $97 million Macquarie University Library". Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Radio National — Audio file. 24 August 2011. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "CEMA company profile of Dematic". Conveyor Equipment Manufacturers Association (CEMA). Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "MHIA membership profile of Dematic Corp.". Material Handling Industry Of America (MHIA). Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "VDMA membership profile of Dematic GmbH". VDMA (Verband Deutscher Maschinen- und Anlagenbau – German Engineering Federation). Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "Dematic WMS Products". Fraunhofer Institute for Material Flow and Logistics.
- "Dematic Customer Services". Dematic North America, Official Website. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Official Dematic website
- Official Dematic website for Australia and New Zealand
- Dematic's Multishuttle 2 website
- Official Dematic website on Automated Library Systems
- Official Colby website
- Dematic Real Time Logistics website