Demetrious Johnson (fighter)
August 13, 1986 |
Madisonville, Kentucky, U.S.
|Other names||Mighty Mouse|
|Height||5 ft 3 in (1.60 m)|
|Weight||125 lb (57 kg; 8 st 13 lb)|
|Reach||64.0 in (163 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Kirkland, Washington, United States|
|Years active||2007 – present|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Website||Official UFC Profile|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Demetrious Khrisna Johnson (born August 13, 1986) is an American mixed martial artist. He is the first and current UFC Flyweight Champion. As of May 26, 2014, he is #4 in official UFC pound-for-pound rankings and ranked the #1 flyweight in the world by Sherdog.
Born in Kentucky, Johnson grew up in Parkland, Washington where he attended Washington High School and was a stand-out athlete in track, wrestling, and cross country. In wrestling, he placed 3rd and 2nd in state in his junior and senior years. Although he participated in track and cross country to improve his cardio for wrestling, he competed at the State Championships in both sports as well.
Mixed martial arts career
Johnson began his career in 2007 and won his professional debut via first round KO. Johnson then appeared on multiple local shows and won his next 8 fights, including four in a row by submission. Johnson fought at the Alaska Fighting Championships in Anchorage and won via head kick KO, which earned him a deal with the WEC.
World Extreme Cagefighting
He made his World Extreme Cagefighting debut against Brad Pickett on April 24, 2010 at WEC 48 in Sacramento, California. Johnson showed good kickboxing throughout, but was unable to defend the many takedowns executed by Pickett. Johnson lost via unanimous decision. Joe Rogan predicted during the fight that, should the WEC implement a flyweight division (125 lbs), Johnson would be highly effective, as he was a relatively small bantamweight.
Johnson was expected to face Clint Godfrey on September 30, 2010 at WEC 51. However, Godfrey was forced off the card and replaced by WEC newcomer Nick Pace. Johnson defeated Pace via unanimous decision, to hand Pace his first ever MMA loss.
Johnson defeated Damacio Page via third round submission on November 11, 2010 at WEC 52. After Page controlled the action in the first round, Johnson was able to dictate the action for most of the second and third rounds before submitting the visibly tired Page via guillotine choke. Johnson later said, “He was basically drowning, and I was the shark that came up and got him from underneath.”
Ultimate Fighting Championship
On October 28, 2010, World Extreme Cagefighting merged with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As part of the merger, all WEC fighters were transferred to the UFC. Johnson faced Japanese superstar Norifumi Yamamoto on February 5, 2011 at UFC 126 in his UFC debut, Johnson utilized take downs in round 1 and 2, controlling Yamamoto throughout the fight, and being rewarded with a unanimous decision victory.
Johnson was scheduled to face Renan Barão on May 28, 2011 at UFC 130. However, Johnson faced Miguel Torres after Torres' opponent, Brad Pickett was forced off the card with an injury. Despite breaking his fibula early in the second round from a checked leg kick, Johnson used his superior wrestling to control Torres and won a 29-28 unanimous decision victory, even though Demetrious was swept into full mount a record breaking 6 times during the fight.
Johnson was expected to face Eddie Wineland on January 28, 2012 at UFC on Fox 2 However, Johnson was pulled from the bout to take part in a four-man flyweight tournament to determine the UFC's first UFC Flyweight Champion.
Johnson faced Ian McCall on March 3, 2012 in the first round of the Flyweight Tournament at UFC on FX 2.This fight was the first flyweight bout in UFC history. The fight with McCall went all three rounds, was turned over to the judges' score cards and announced as a majority decision win for Johnson. Later, in the post fight press conference, Dana White announced that the athletic commission made a mistake when scoring the match and that officially the bout was an ultimately scored a majority draw (29-28 Johnson, 29-29, 28-28).
UFC Flyweight Champion (2012-Present)
Johnson faced Joseph Benavidez in the finals of the UFC Flyweight Tournament on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152. Johnson defeated Benavidez in a close and fast-paced fight via split decision (48-47, 47-48, 49-46) to become the inaugural UFC Flyweight Champion.
Johnson fought John Dodson on January 26, 2013 at UFC on FX 3. Dodson managed to match Johnson's speed and also dropped him twice with left hands, but as the fight went on the champion took control and almost finished Dodson in the last seconds of the fifth round. Johnson eventually won the fight via unanimous decision (48-47, 49-46, 48-47) in a bout that earned both participants Fight of the Night honors.
Johnson was expected to face John Moraga on April 13, 2013 at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale. However, Johnson was forced out of the bout with an injury and Moraga was pulled from the event as well.
The bout with Moraga was rescheduled and eventually took place on July 27, 2013 at UFC on Fox 8 where Johnson was looking to defend his title for a second time. Johnson dominated for nearly all five rounds, scoring a new UFC record of twelve takedowns throughout the fight. Despite being ahead on the scorecards, Johnson continued to work for the finish and eventually won via an armbar submission late in the fifth round. The win also earned Johnson his first Submission of the Night bonus award. This was also the latest stoppage in the history of the UFC.
A rematch with Joseph Benavidez was expected for November 30, 2013 at The Ultimate Fighter 18 Finale. However the bout was shifted to December 14, 2013 at UFC on Fox 9 after that event's headliner was postponed due to injury. Johnson won the rematch in emphatic fashion via knockout in the first round, being the first person to stop Benavidez due to strikes. The win also earned Johnson his first Knockout of the Night bonus award.
Johnson had a harsh childhood; having been born premature, he was raised by his deaf mother and an abusive stepfather. Johnson has never met his biological father, “I’ve never seen a picture of him, not a glimpse, nothing.” The main thing that has helped him move on from his past is his wife, Destiny Johnson. He says "she is the best thing that has ever happened to me and without her, life would be incomplete." They were wed May 11, 2012, in Hawaii, and their first child was born in July 2013.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- UFC Flyweight Championship (One time; First; Current)
- Four successful title defenses
- Most Successful Title defenses in UFC Flyweight history (4)
- Most Consecutive Title Defenses In UFC Flyweight History (4)
- UFC 2012 Flyweight Tournament Champion
- Fight of the Night (Two times) vs. Ian McCall and John Dodson
- Submission of the Night (One time) vs. John Moraga
- Knockout of the Night (One time) vs. Joseph Benavidez
- Inside MMA
- 2012 Breakthrough Fighter of the Year
- 2013 All-Violence First Team
- Current #7 Pound for Pound Fighter
- 2013 Fighter of the Year
- MMA Nuts.com
- 2013 Fighter of the Year
- Fight Matrix.com
- 2013 Male Fighter of the Year
- 2013 Fighter of the Year
- 2013 Fighter of the Year
- 2013 Fighter of the Year
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|23 matches||20 wins||2 losses|
|Chris Cariaso||UFC 178||September 27, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the UFC Flyweight Championship|
|Win||20–2–1||Ali Bagautinov||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 174||June 14, 2014||5||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada||Defended the UFC Flyweight Championship|
|Win||19–2–1||Joseph Benavidez||KO (punch)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2||December 14, 2013||1||2:08||Sacramento, California, United States||Defended the UFC Flyweight Championship; Knockout of the Night|
|Win||18–2–1||John Moraga||Submission (armbar)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga||July 27, 2013||5||3:43||Seattle, Washington, United States||Defended the UFC Flyweight Championship; Submission of the Night|
|Win||17–2–1||John Dodson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Dodson||January 26, 2013||5||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Defended the UFC Flyweight Championship; Fight of the Night.|
|Win||16–2–1||Joseph Benavidez||Decision (split)||UFC 152||September 22, 2012||5||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada||Won the inaugural UFC Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||15–2–1||Ian McCall||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall||June 8, 2012||3||5:00||Sunrise, Florida, United States||UFC Flyweight Tournament Semifinal.|
|Draw||14–2–1||Ian McCall||Draw (majority)||UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann||March 3, 2012||3||5:00||Sydney, Australia||UFC Flyweight Tournament Semifinal; Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||14–2||Dominick Cruz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Cruz vs. Johnson||October 1, 2011||5||5:00||Washington D.C., United States||For UFC Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||14–1||Miguel Torres||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 130||May 28, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–1||Norifumi Yamamoto||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 126||February 5, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–1||Damacio Page||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 52||November 11, 2010||3||2:27||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–1||Nick Pace||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 51||September 30, 2010||3||5:00||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Loss||10–1||Brad Pickett||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 48||April 24, 2010||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||10–0||Jesse Brock||KO (head kick)||AFC 68||February 10, 2010||1||1:06||Anchorage, Alaska, United States|
|Win||9–0||Frankie Mendez||Submission (rear naked choke)||King of the Cage: Thunderstruck||August 15, 2009||1||4:38||Everett, Washington, United States|
|Win||8–0||Louis Contreras||Submission (rear naked choke)||Genesis: Rise of Kings||June 27, 2009||1||N/A||Shoreline, Washington, United States|
|Win||7–0||Forrest Seabourn||Submission (rear naked choke)||Genesis: Cold War||December 6, 2008||1||N/A||Bellevue, Washington, United States|
|Win||6–0||Jose Garza||Submission (armbar)||AX Fighting Championships 22: Last Man Standing||August 16, 2008||2||1:56||Lynnwood, Washington, United States|
|Win||5–0||Louis Contreras||Submission (keylock)||USA MMA: Northwest Fighting Challenge 6||March 29, 2008||1||N/A||Tumwater, Washington, United States|
|Win||4–0||Eric Alvarez||Decision (unanimous)||AX Fighting Championships 20: March Madness||March 8, 2008||5||5:00||Lynnwood, Washington, United States|
|Win||3–0||Jeff Bourgeois||Decision (unanimous)||AX Fighting Championships 18: The Art of War||September 22, 2007||3||5:00||Lynnwood, Washington, United States|
|Win||2–0||Pedro Mercado||TKO (punches)||King of the Cage: No Holds Barred||July 14, 2007||1||1:25||Porterville, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Brandon Fieds||KO (punch)||AX Fighting Championships 16: Annihilation||April 28, 2007||1||0:45||Everett, Washington, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 174 Johnson vs. Bagautinov". UFC.com. Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Sherdog Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". Sherdog.com.
- Robert Rousseau. "Biography and Profile of Demetrious Johnson". martialarts.about.com.
- Mike Renouard (April 14, 2010). "WEC Pre-fight Interview with Demetrious Johnson". nwfightscene.com.
- "Brad Pickett vs. newcomer Demetrious Johnson official for WEC 48 prelims". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-03-12.
- "Clint Godfrey vs. Demetrious Johnson set for WEC 51 preliminary card". mmajunkie.com. 08-03-2010.
- "Nick Pace replaces Clint Godfrey, faces Demetrious Johnson at WEC 51". mmajunkie.com. September 8, 2010.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto Signs With UFC; Debuts Against Demetrious Johnson In February". mmaweekly.com. December 10, 2010.
- ""Mighty Mouse" vs. Barao added to UFC 130". mmajunkie.com. March 12, 2011.
- "UFC 130: Miguel Torres vs Demetrious Johnson booked with Brad Pickett injured". mmamania.com. April 21, 2011.
- "Champ Dominick Cruz defends title against Demetrious Johnson at UFC on Versus 6". mmajunkie.com. July 22, 2011.
- Damon Martin (November 21, 2011). "Demetrious Johnson vs. Eddie Wineland In the Works for UFC on Fox 2". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- "UFC adds flyweights: Johnson vs. McCall, Benavidez vs. Urushitani at UFC on FX 2". mmajunkie.com. December 11, 2011.
- "UFC on FX 2 Main Card Results". UFC.com. March 3, 2012.
- "Breaking news: Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall result overturned, majority draw requires rematch". mmamania.com. March 3, 2012.
- "Johnson-McCall rematch slated for UFC on FX 3". mmajunkie.com. March 20, 2012. Retrieved March 20, 2012.
- "Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson to headline UFC on FOX 6". bloodyelbow.com. November 6, 2012. Retrieved November 6, 2012..
- "Demetrious Johnson defends UFC flyweight title vs. John Moraga at TUF 17 Finale". mmajunkie.com. February 11, 2013.
- Staff (2013-02-26). "Demetrious Johnson injured, title fight with John Moraga off TUF 17 Finale". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 2013-02-26.
- "Champ Johnson vs. Moraga headlines UFC on FOX 8". mmajunkie.com. April 24, 2013.
- Staff (2013-07-27). "UFC on FOX 8 bonuses: Johnson, Guillard, Herman, Smith earn $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- Staff (September 18, 2013). "Joseph Benavidez meets UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson at TUF 18 Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Staff (November 10, 2013). "Pettis-Thomson off UFC on FOX 9, Johnson-Benavidez shifts to main event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- Matt Erickson. "UFC on FOX 9 bonuses: Johnson, Faber, Barboza, Castillo win $50,000". MMAjunkie. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Joe Ferraro (2014-04-09). "Johnson vs Bagautinov is UFC 174 main event". sportsnet.ca. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- Kevin Iole (2014-07-15). "Demetrious Johnson to defend belt against Chris Cariaso at UFC 177". Yahoo Sports Canada. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- Yael Grauer (2011-09-29). "No Stranger to Adversity". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Steven Marrocco (2013-07-24). "Demetrious Johnson only lost one day of UFC on FOX 8 training with birth of son". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Official UFC Profile
- Professional MMA record for Demetrious Johnson (fighter) from Sherdog
- Demetrious Johnson on Twitter
Title last held byFirst Champion
|1st UFC Flyweight Champion
September 22, 2012 – present