Democratic Freedom Caucus
|Headquarters||Washington, D.C., U.S.|
Jason Bessey, National Director
The Democratic Freedom Caucus (DFC) is a libertarian-leaning caucus within the Democratic Party of the United States that supports the majority of positions of the party but does not necessarily share identical viewpoints across the political spectrum; that is, its members are more likely to support individual and personal freedoms. Founded in 1996 by Hanno Beck, Mike O'Mara and former libertarian Andrew Spark, the caucus is roughly analogous to the Republican Party's Republican Liberty Caucus, although the DFC's influence on its party may be more marginalized. Like the RLC, the DFC shares many principles with Libertarian Party, but believes that effective political change is more likely to come through a major party than a third party. The caucus maintains a platform, a list of principles, a guide for activists and includes 40 state chairs and regional representatives.
The DFC's positions are similar to the RLC and Libertarian Party's, with some notable exceptions:
One significant difference from the RLC is the DFC's promotion of geolibertarian ideas within the Democratic Party because of their position on shifting taxes to spatial-locations of land and on natural resources.
Unlike other major libertarian organizations, the DFC favors strong environmental laws on the basis that the air and water are all commonly shared and must be kept as clean as possible. The DFC also favors repeal of the Price-Anderson Act, which limits liability for nuclear power plant accidents.
The DFC also favors strict laws on workplace safety and believes it is fraudulent to misrepresent workplace hazards or mislead employees as to the dangers they may face.
Similarly, the DFC believes it fraudulent to misrepresent the safety or effectiveness of items or services being offered to the general public.
- "DemocraticFreedomCaucus.org". Democratic Freedom Caucus. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "Another approach: The Democratic Freedom Caucus". FreeLiberal.com (Woodbridge, Va.: The Free Liberal). 2005-04-14. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "DFC platform". DemocraticFreedomCaucus.org (Somerville, Mass.: Democratic Freedom Caucus). Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "Principles of the DFC". DemocraticFreedomCaucus.org (Somerville, Mass.: Democratic Freedom Caucus). Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "Guide for activists". DemocraticFreedomCaucus.org (Somerville, Mass.: Democratic Freedom Caucus). Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "DFC state chairs and regional representatives". DemocraticFreedomCaucus.org (Somerville, Mass.: Democratic Freedom Caucus). Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "Links to other geolibertarian organizations". Geolib.pair.com (Dan Sullivan). Retrieved 2010-11-01.