Demographics of Palau

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

This article is about the demographic features of the population of Palau, including population density, ethnicity, education level, health of the populace, economic status, religious affiliations and other aspects of the population.

About 70% of the Palauan population lives in the city of Koror on Koror Island. Koror is the former capital and the present capital is Melekeok on the bigger but less developed island of Babeldaob—the second-largest island in Micronesia after Guam.

CIA World Factbook demographic statistics[edit]

The following demographic statistics are from the CIA World Factbook, unless otherwise indicated.

Population[edit]

[1] 20,279

Age structure[edit]

0-14 years: 27% (male 2,605; female 2,458)
15-64 years: 68% (male 7,006; female 5,814)
65 years and over: 5% (male 416; female 467) (2000 est.)

Population growth rate[edit]

1.75% (2000 est.)

Birth rate[edit]

19.88 births/1,000 population (2000 est.)

Death rate[edit]

7.35 deaths/1,000 population (2000 est.)

Net migration rate[edit]

5.01 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2000 est.)

Sex ratio[edit]

at birth: 1.06 male(s)/female
under 15 years: 1.06 male(s)/female
15-64 years: 1.21 male(s)/female
65 years and over: 0.89 male(s)/female
total population: 1.15 male(s)/female (2000 est.)

Infant mortality rate[edit]

17.12 deaths/1,000 live births (2000 est.)

Life expectancy at birth[edit]

total population: 68.59 years
male: 65.47 years
female: 71.88 years (2000 est.)

Total fertility rate[edit]

2.47 children born/woman (2000 est.)

Nationality[edit]

noun: Palauan(s)
adjective: Palauan

Ethnic groups[edit]

Palauans are Micronesian with Melanesian and Malayan admixtures which takes up 70% of the islands population. The other 30% is made up of Filipino, Japanese, Chinese and Other Micronesian people.

Religions[edit]

[2]
(see Religion in Palau)

  • Christian: 77.9%
    • Catholics 49.4%
    • Protestants 21.3%
    • Seventh-Day Adventists 5.3%
    • Jehovah's Witnesses 1.1%
    • Mormons 0.8%
  • Modekngei religion (indigenous to Palau): 8.7%
  • Other religion: 8.1%
  • None or Refused: 1.1%

Languages[edit]

English and Palauan official in all states except Sonsoral (Sonsorolese and English are official), Hatohobei (Tobi and English are official), and Angaur (Japanese, and English are official)[3][4]

Literacy[edit]

definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 92%
male: 93%
female: 90% (1980 est.)

See also : Palau

References[edit]

  1. ^ Office of Planning & Statistics: Census 2005 - Social statistics, retrieved on March 1, 2007
  2. ^ Office of Planning and Statistics, Republic of Palau: 2005 Census of Population and Housing, Table 59, retrieved on March 1, 2007
  3. ^ "CIA - The World Factbook -- Field Listing :: Languages". Central Intelligence Agency. Archived from the original on February 17, 2010. Retrieved February 17, 2010. 
  4. ^ Lewis, Paul M. (ed) (2009). "Languages of Palau". SIL International. Archived from the original on February 17, 2010. Retrieved February 17, 2010. 

See also[edit]

Demographics of Oceania

Demographics of Vanuatu

Demographics of Samoa

Demographics of Tuvalu

Demographics of Fiji

Demographics of the Solomon Islands

Demographics of the Federated States of Micronesia

Demographics of the Marshall Islands

Demographics of Papua New Guinea

Demographics of Kiribati

Demographics of Tonga

Demographics of Nauru

Demographics of Australia

Demographics of New Zealand

Members of the United Nations

U.S. Dollar

Microstate