C. F. Dendy Marshall
Chapman Frederick Dendy Marshall (Q4 1872 – 14 June 1945) was an English railway historian, best known for his works on the Southern Railway and its precursor companies; on the Liverpool and Manchester Railway; and on early railways and locomotives to 1831. He was also a noted philatelist who was a specialist in the stamps and postal history of Great Britain.
Dendy Marshall's birth was registered at Brentford in the fourth quarter of 1872. He was educated at Hurstpierpoint and Trinity College, Cambridge, and trained as a barrister but never practised.
- Two Essays in early locomotive history: 1. The first hundred railway engines; 2. British locomotives in North America, London: The Locomotive Publishing Company Ltd 1928.
- Centenary history of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, London: Locomotive Publishing Co. 1930.
- One hundred years of railways: from Liverpool and Manchester to London Midland and Scottish, London and Derby: London, Midland and Scottish Railway. 1930.
- A history of the Southern Railway, London: Southern Railway. 1936. Second edition, revised by R.W. Kidner. London: Ian Allan. 2 vols. 1963.
- A history of British railways down to the year 1830, London: Oxford University Press. 1938.
- Early British locomotives: a supplement to the first of the author's "Two essays in early locomotive history", London: Locomotive Publishing Co. 1939.
- A history of railway locomotives down to the end of the year 1831, London: Locomotive Publishing Co. 1953.
- Numbered obliterations of the London and suburban districts. Buckingham: P.E. Raynor, 1923.
- The British Post Office from its beginnings to the end of 1925. Oxford University Press, 1926.
- A study of the line-engraved twopence postage stamps of Great Britain. London: Harris Publications, 1929.
- "C.F. Dendy Marshall." in The London Philatelist, Vol. LIV, No. 639, October 1945, p. 101.
- The Society's Medals and Honorary Fellowship by The Royal Philatelic Society London, 2009, p. 4.
- GRO Index for Q4 1872, reference 3a 106
- Dendy Marshall, Chapman Frederick, Steamindex website
- Sotheby's & Co., The Dendy Marshall railway collection. Catalogue of the well-known and extensive collection of books, autograph letters, prints and pictures, maps, pottery, porcelain and glass, etc. relating to railways and locomotive engines: the property of the late C.F. Dendy Marshall, Esq., M.A., M.I.Loco.Eng. Author of the centenary History of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway, History of the Southern Railway, History of British railways to 1830, etc. (sold by order of the execuitors). Comprising early works on the steam engine, Gray's Chorographia, 1649; oil painting by Frith (The railway station), etc. The magnificent collection of railway medals and tokens. Many coloured aquatint and lithographic prints. A large collection on the Atmospheric railway, etc. Which will be sold by auction by Messers. Sotheby & Co. ... on Tuesday, the 13th of November 1945.